*Gay activist groups, upset over a Grammy nomination for jailed Jamaican reggae artist Buju Banton, are protesting the ceremony for its recognition of an artist they said had “promoted the murder of gay people throughout his career.”
Banton, 36, is up for a best reggae album award for his “Rasta Got Soul” CD. He’s currently sitting in a Florida jail awaiting trial on a cocaine charge and will not be attending the awards show on Sunday.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center took out a full page ad in Hollywood show business paper Daily Variety, urging Grammy organizers to use Sunday’s televised ceremony to denounce music “that promotes or celebrates violence against any group of people.”
Friday’s ad, in the form of a letter signed by more than 20 gay, civil rights and anti-violence groups, said that honoring “an artist such as Buju Banton, honors his extraordinary hateful work.”
The lyrics of Banton’s most controversial song “Boom, Bye Bye” in 1988, call for the murder of gay men by shooting or burning. [Listen below.] Banton was quoted late last year as saying he saw “no end to the war” between himself and gay men.
The Recording Academy has said that the Grammy Awards honor musical achievement “regardless of politics” and that artists from many different political and cultural perspectives have been nominated over the years.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Christopher 'Play' Martin to Speak at Suny-Oneonta Monday Nov. 30
- A 'Broke' 50 Cent Flaunts Stacks of Cash in Fridge (WATCH)
- Here’s why the Alleged Planned Parenthood Killer Isn’t called a Domestic Terrorist
- Pilar Sanders Will Have to Pay Deion Sanders $2.2M and Go Back to Jail
- Police Erased Video of Laquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Phaedra Blogs Support for Cynthia and Peter During Marital Drama
- Tyra Banks Not Feuding with Chrissy Teigen, Chooses Beauty Brand Over 'FABLife'
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here