Dublin concert promoters MCD Productions Ltd. sued Prince for $2.3 million alleging breach of contract, according to the Associated Press. The company presented evidence showing Prince had committed to perform in the 82,300-seat Croke Park in June 2008, only to withdraw without explanation 10 days beforehand after 55,000 tickets were sold.
Lawyers for both parties announced an out-of-court settlement Friday. Neither side would disclose the figures involved. But MCD owner Denis Desmond suggested the sum easily topped $1.35 million because his company would not be “out of pocket” once Prince paid up.
Prince, 51, did not appear during the four-day hearing in Dublin High Court
MCD, Ireland’s biggest concert organizers, paid (EURO)700,000 to book Croke Park for the night, advertised the concert aggressively and refunded all 55,000 tickets.
Desmond poked fun at Prince’s reported quote, relayed Thursday by his former William Morris agent Marc Geiger, that he expected Desmond to take the concert’s collapse in stride.
“Tell the cat to chill. We will work something out,” Geiger quoted Prince as saying during a rare face-to-face meeting on June 3, 2008.
“This cat’s very chilled,” Desmond said Friday with a broad smile.
Geiger had testified that Prince was “one of the least clear” clients he had ever experienced during a 20-year agent’s career, particularly because he refused any direct communication, instead delivering messages through an assistant if at all.
- Bobbi Kristina's Body Released for Burial
- Rashida Jones Dropped Robin Thicke for Al B. Sure in Junior High
- TV Land’s ‘Soul Man’ Renewed for Fifth and Final Season
- Nick Gordon Has ‘Suffered Greatly’ Over Bobbi Kristina, Says His Mom
- Lee Daniels, L.A. Reid to Speak at Mariah Carey’s Hollywood Star Ceremony
- Chicago Police Tow Car With Deceased Bodies Inside...Public Raises Hell! (Watch)
- Cops Kept Rihanna from Performing Free Freddie Gray Concert
- Steven Ivory: GOP and Trump—Pot, Meet Kettle
- Report: Whitney Decides Where Fortune Goes; Bobby Screwed
- Hasselbeck: Sandra Bland Could've Used Cigarette as a Weapon (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here