Dublin concert promoters MCD Productions Ltd. sued Prince for $2.3 million alleging breach of contract, according to the Associated Press. The company presented evidence showing Prince had committed to perform in the 82,300-seat Croke Park in June 2008, only to withdraw without explanation 10 days beforehand after 55,000 tickets were sold.
Lawyers for both parties announced an out-of-court settlement Friday. Neither side would disclose the figures involved. But MCD owner Denis Desmond suggested the sum easily topped $1.35 million because his company would not be “out of pocket” once Prince paid up.
Prince, 51, did not appear during the four-day hearing in Dublin High Court
MCD, Ireland’s biggest concert organizers, paid (EURO)700,000 to book Croke Park for the night, advertised the concert aggressively and refunded all 55,000 tickets.
Desmond poked fun at Prince’s reported quote, relayed Thursday by his former William Morris agent Marc Geiger, that he expected Desmond to take the concert’s collapse in stride.
“Tell the cat to chill. We will work something out,” Geiger quoted Prince as saying during a rare face-to-face meeting on June 3, 2008.
“This cat’s very chilled,” Desmond said Friday with a broad smile.
Geiger had testified that Prince was “one of the least clear” clients he had ever experienced during a 20-year agent’s career, particularly because he refused any direct communication, instead delivering messages through an assistant if at all.
- Director Admits Cutting Roger Goodell Scene in Will Smith’s ‘Concussion’ Film
- Director Ripped for Taylor Swift’s 'Very White Africa' in New Video (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton, Chaka Khan, Kim Zolciak Set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Fox News Anchor Harris Faulkner Sues Hasbro over Toy Hamster
- Porsha Not Pressing Charges Against Cynthia for Stomach Kick
- Venus Williams Graduates from Indiana University
- Chris Bosh’s Baby Mama Reportedly Unable to Afford Bankruptcy Payments
- MTV Says Nicki-Miley Beef 'Unscripted and Real' (Watch it Unedited)
- Cops Enter Wrong House, Kill Dog, Shoot Owner & Fellow Officer (WATCH)
- Black Female Celebs Rule Magazine Covers (At Least for Now)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here