Dublin concert promoters MCD Productions Ltd. sued Prince for $2.3 million alleging breach of contract, according to the Associated Press. The company presented evidence showing Prince had committed to perform in the 82,300-seat Croke Park in June 2008, only to withdraw without explanation 10 days beforehand after 55,000 tickets were sold.
Lawyers for both parties announced an out-of-court settlement Friday. Neither side would disclose the figures involved. But MCD owner Denis Desmond suggested the sum easily topped $1.35 million because his company would not be “out of pocket” once Prince paid up.
Prince, 51, did not appear during the four-day hearing in Dublin High Court
MCD, Ireland’s biggest concert organizers, paid (EURO)700,000 to book Croke Park for the night, advertised the concert aggressively and refunded all 55,000 tickets.
Desmond poked fun at Prince’s reported quote, relayed Thursday by his former William Morris agent Marc Geiger, that he expected Desmond to take the concert’s collapse in stride.
“Tell the cat to chill. We will work something out,” Geiger quoted Prince as saying during a rare face-to-face meeting on June 3, 2008.
“This cat’s very chilled,” Desmond said Friday with a broad smile.
Geiger had testified that Prince was “one of the least clear” clients he had ever experienced during a 20-year agent’s career, particularly because he refused any direct communication, instead delivering messages through an assistant if at all.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- FAMU Grad Single Mom (Taylor Hunter) Testament to Power of Perseverance
- THE (05-05-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- EURweb.com Partners with Blackmon Entertainment Media on Exclusive New Media Licensing Deal
- It's GAME Time! Says Fashion Accessory Brand, Sprayground
- Trump Takes GOP Nomination; Will Black America Listen to His Presidential Plan? (Video)
- Afrika Bambaataa Now Accused of Molesting Hundreds of Boys
- Prince Offered to Mentor Chris Brown After Rihanna Incident
- OWN Staff Blindsided by Exit of Oprah’s Longtime Confident Sheri Salata (Report)
- FoxNews.Com Pulls Comment Section of Malia Obama Story After Racists Take Over
- Pres. Obama Drinks Filtered Flint Water to Show It's Safe (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here