*Hundreds of suspects arrested over the recent slaughter of Christians in Nigeria are scheduled to be prosecuted as early as this week.

Plateau State police spokesman Mohammed Lerama said they hope to go to court this week and begin the prosecution of about 200 suspects, according to Agence France-Presse.

The suspects were detained after a number of predominantly Christian villages in the Jos area were attacked by machete-wielding Muslim extremists on March 7. While police estimate that more than 100 people were killed, persecution watchdogs say the death toll was up to 500.

A second attack last week left some 13 people dead.

Lerama told AFP that 49 Fulani herdsmen will be charged with homicide and terrorism in connection with the March 7 violence. Another seven will face similar charges over the second wave of killings.

Read the full story here.