*There’s little praise for Obama’s proposed plan to expand offshore drilling and gas development, says The Daily Beast.
The plan, which Obama designed to attract bipartisan support, has garnered wide enthusiasm from the oil industry, business groups, and some Republicans, and denunciation from environmental groups and some Democrats, The New York Times reports.
While the bill contains geographical provisions designed to appeal to certain senators, such as a coastal buffer zone off the coast of Florida to placate Sen. Bill Nelson, it has gained ire from New Jersey Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez for opening the mid-Atlantic region to drilling, and thus, environmental degradation.
What’s more troubling is that it’s unclear what oil is actually lurking off the American coast; some of the existing data are based on 30-year-old studies, and even if the high end of government estimates is correct, the new oil will only account for a small component of U.S. energy use.
The Daily Beast’s Eric Alterman says Obama’s proposal is more proof that he’s not a liberal like many of his supporters.
Read more HERE.
- John Legend Taking His Talents to ‘The SpongeBob Musical’
- ‘Back to This B**ch’: Why Nicki Minaj Checked Miley Cyrus on Live TV
- Black Twitter Drags Rebel Wilson Over VMA ‘Stripper Police’ Bit
- Nile Rodgers Gets BMI Icon Award - EUR was on the Scene (WATCH)
- New Comic 'Raising Dion': Single, Black Mother with Superhuman Son
- Harris Co., TX Sherriff Classifies Black Lives Matter as ‘Rhetoric’ Leading to Deputy’s Death
- Terrence Howard Tweets He's Still Attached to 3rd Wife Mira Pak
- 9-Yr-Old Ferguson Girl, Killed as She Did Homework, Remembered on Sunday
- Richard Pryor Biopic Officially Adds Oprah Winfrey and Eddie Murphy
- Kobe and Shaq Squash Years Long Beef on Podcast (LISTEN)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here