*There’s little praise for Obama’s proposed plan to expand offshore drilling and gas development, says The Daily Beast.
The plan, which Obama designed to attract bipartisan support, has garnered wide enthusiasm from the oil industry, business groups, and some Republicans, and denunciation from environmental groups and some Democrats, The New York Times reports.
While the bill contains geographical provisions designed to appeal to certain senators, such as a coastal buffer zone off the coast of Florida to placate Sen. Bill Nelson, it has gained ire from New Jersey Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez for opening the mid-Atlantic region to drilling, and thus, environmental degradation.
What’s more troubling is that it’s unclear what oil is actually lurking off the American coast; some of the existing data are based on 30-year-old studies, and even if the high end of government estimates is correct, the new oil will only account for a small component of U.S. energy use.
The Daily Beast’s Eric Alterman says Obama’s proposal is more proof that he’s not a liberal like many of his supporters.
Read more HERE.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- TV One Renews Docu-Series 'Rickey Smiley For Real'
- NBAer Richard Jefferson’s Reckless Spending Caused Loss of Millions: Ex-Manager
- Vivian Green Releases Music Video for 'Grown Folks Music'
- Black Greek Lesbians Hijack Traditions of Omega Psi Phi
- 'The Haves and The Have Nots' Return with a Bang [WATCH]
- 'One More Time' - New CD by Larry Buford
- Huh? Blac Chyna Flies First Class, Rob Kardashian Flies Coach
- Will Downing Drops 1st Full Length CD in Six Years 'Black Pearls'
- NeNe Leakes Blasts Luenell & Kenya Moore During Stand-Up
- Oprah's Convo with T. D. Jakes About Mega Church Series 'Greenleaf' (Photos)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here