*A newly released study concludes that the soaring imprisonment of African Americans over the past 40 years has been driven in major measure by racism.
Criminologists James Unnever of the University of South Florida-Sarasota and Francis Cullen of the University of Cincinnati found that “racial resentments are inextricably entwined in public punitiveness.”
Stated differently, racism and the rise of “tough on crime” policies go hand in hand.
The study parallels the conclusions of civil rights attorney Michelle Alexander who found in her recent book, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, that the American prison system has so sweepingly and consistently targeted African American men that it has effectively created a new racial caste system.
She writes in the book’s introduction:
“I came to see that mass incarceration in the United States had, in fact, emerged as a stunningly comprehensive and well-disguised system of racialized social control …” (source: Taylor Media Services – www.BlackNewsJournal.net )
- Bree Newsome Reveals Reason Behind Removing the Confederate Flag
- LA Mayor Garcetti Finally Agrees to Meet with Black Lives Matter Activists (Dramatic Video)
- Compton Mayor Invites Submissions for 'Compton Champions' Awards
- THE (07-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Photos: Usher and Miguel Host 5th Post BET Awards Party [Look: Photo Gallery]
- Fantasia Reunites With Husband, Faces Tax Lien
- Doctors Warn of Health Risks from Wearing Skinny Jeans
- Eva Longoria to Donald Trump: ‘You Must Expect a Backlash’ (Watch)
- Warrant Issued for Florida State QB De’Andre Johnson
- K. Michelle Comes for SWV’s Coko; Tamar Gets Memed Over BET Performance
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here