*A newly released study concludes that the soaring imprisonment of African Americans over the past 40 years has been driven in major measure by racism.
Criminologists James Unnever of the University of South Florida-Sarasota and Francis Cullen of the University of Cincinnati found that “racial resentments are inextricably entwined in public punitiveness.”
Stated differently, racism and the rise of “tough on crime” policies go hand in hand.
The study parallels the conclusions of civil rights attorney Michelle Alexander who found in her recent book, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, that the American prison system has so sweepingly and consistently targeted African American men that it has effectively created a new racial caste system.
She writes in the book’s introduction:
“I came to see that mass incarceration in the United States had, in fact, emerged as a stunningly comprehensive and well-disguised system of racialized social control …” (source: Taylor Media Services – www.BlackNewsJournal.net )
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Deion Sanders Hit With $1M Lawsuit Over Assault at Son's School
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- The Africa Channel Launches Ubuntu Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here