*A newly released study concludes that the soaring imprisonment of African Americans over the past 40 years has been driven in major measure by racism.
Criminologists James Unnever of the University of South Florida-Sarasota and Francis Cullen of the University of Cincinnati found that “racial resentments are inextricably entwined in public punitiveness.”
Stated differently, racism and the rise of “tough on crime” policies go hand in hand.
The study parallels the conclusions of civil rights attorney Michelle Alexander who found in her recent book, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, that the American prison system has so sweepingly and consistently targeted African American men that it has effectively created a new racial caste system.
She writes in the book’s introduction:
“I came to see that mass incarceration in the United States had, in fact, emerged as a stunningly comprehensive and well-disguised system of racialized social control …” (source: Taylor Media Services – www.BlackNewsJournal.net )
- Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara Put Up with Rude, Race Baiting Questions (WATCH)
- Darren Wilson Opens Up A Year After His Killing of Mike Brown
- Secret Service Expert 'Outs' Hillary Clinton's Marriage as 'Fake'
- D.L. Hughley: If Trump Says 'N*gger’ He'll be Elected Tomorrow (WATCH)
- Happy Birthday Mr. President! Today is Barack Obama's 54th B-day
- Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Cousin Admits Being Barred From Burial
- Donald Trump: Obama Blew it for Future Black President Hopefuls
- The Socialist's Journal: The Value of Lives (Cecil the Lion)
- Min. Paul Scott/Straight Outta Con Man: Exposin’ the Truth About NWA
- 'Straight Outta Compton' Cast Talks' Straight Outta Compton' (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here