*The latest study on the genetic ancestry of American Blacks is entitled “Characterizing the admixed African ancestry of African Americans.”
Published in the journal Genome Biology, the study does not offer much in the way of new information but its facts are still interesting.
For example, the study says the majority of American Blacks derive their ancestry from just 500,000 to 600,000 of the millions of Africans who were forcibly brought to North America as slaves during the Middle passage.
The African ancestry of American Blacks comes primarily from six tribal or ethnic groups:
Yoruba (63.7%), Mandenka (19.2%), Bantu (13.8%), San (2.0%), Blaka (1.0%) and Mbuti (0.2%).
Meanwhile, the genetic ancestry of the typical African American is 22 percent European with around 10 percent of U.S. Blacks being of more than 50 percent European ancestry. (source: Taylor Media Services)
- Aaron Camper's Back and is 'Hypnotizing' in New Video (WATCH)
- MTV Presents 'White People' Documentary
- Kanye West Could've Been Highest Paid on Las Vegas Strip
- Reach Media Welcomes 'Gospel Traxx With Walt Baby Love' to its Urban Lineup
- Tyrese Gibson Responds to Forbes for ‘Green Lantern’ Shade
- Video: Tidal Releases Bizzy Crook's 'From Everything Came Nothing'
- Tasha Cobbs' 'One Place Live' Releases August 21 on Motown Gospel
- Tia Mowry and Pooch Hall Return for 'The Game' Finale
- Problem? Teen Vogue Uses Fair Models for African Braids Feature
- Bobby Seale, Black Panther Professor, Gives History Lesson to D'Angelo (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here