*The latest study on the genetic ancestry of American Blacks is entitled “Characterizing the admixed African ancestry of African Americans.”
Published in the journal Genome Biology, the study does not offer much in the way of new information but its facts are still interesting.
For example, the study says the majority of American Blacks derive their ancestry from just 500,000 to 600,000 of the millions of Africans who were forcibly brought to North America as slaves during the Middle passage.
The African ancestry of American Blacks comes primarily from six tribal or ethnic groups:
Yoruba (63.7%), Mandenka (19.2%), Bantu (13.8%), San (2.0%), Blaka (1.0%) and Mbuti (0.2%).
Meanwhile, the genetic ancestry of the typical African American is 22 percent European with around 10 percent of U.S. Blacks being of more than 50 percent European ancestry. (source: Taylor Media Services)
- Reginald Hudlin, David Hill Tapped to Give 88th Oscars a Makeover
- Will Master P’s Ex-Wife Drama Be Included in Reality Show?
- Gov. Nikki Haley to #BlackLivesMatter: You Don’t Have to ‘Yell and Scream’ (Watch)
- Dwight Howard Brings Loaded Glock to Houston Airport, Avoids Arrest
- RGIII Gets Standing Ovation at Redskins Event
- Watch ‘Melville’, the SXSW Short Michael Strahan is Developing for TV
- AcaciaTV Strives To Increase Diversity In Fitness Videos, Training
- Meet New 'Daily Show' Correspondent Roy Wood Jr. (Video)
- The Isley Brothers’ Essential Library - 23-CD Box Set Collection is Historic
- Director Admits Cutting Roger Goodell Scene in Will Smith’s ‘Concussion’ Film
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here