*The latest study on the genetic ancestry of American Blacks is entitled “Characterizing the admixed African ancestry of African Americans.”
Published in the journal Genome Biology, the study does not offer much in the way of new information but its facts are still interesting.
For example, the study says the majority of American Blacks derive their ancestry from just 500,000 to 600,000 of the millions of Africans who were forcibly brought to North America as slaves during the Middle passage.
The African ancestry of American Blacks comes primarily from six tribal or ethnic groups:
Yoruba (63.7%), Mandenka (19.2%), Bantu (13.8%), San (2.0%), Blaka (1.0%) and Mbuti (0.2%).
Meanwhile, the genetic ancestry of the typical African American is 22 percent European with around 10 percent of U.S. Blacks being of more than 50 percent European ancestry. (source: Taylor Media Services)
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- HUD to Sue Landlords if They Deny Housing Over Criminal Records
- Wendy Williams, Steve Harvey, 'The Real' Score Emmy Nominations
- Fetty Wap Sends 'Wake Up' Message to Graduates
- John Wayne's Racist Comments Kill Official Recognition in California Assembly
- Dr. Phil Talks Prince, Nick Gordon & Prescription Drug Epidemic (WATCH)
- THE (04-29-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Beyoncé Partners with Amex & Uber for 'Formation' Fan Experience
- Prince Family Money Fight! Sister Tyka Storms Out of Meeting
- Six Year Old Starved by Parents Forced to Eat Hot Dog Smoothies (Video)
- Master P's Ex Has 'Stripper' Goals - Meet Ayesha Curry's Alter Ego
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here