*(Via AJC.com) The Atlanta Hawks have decided to hire Larry Drew as their next head coach, people with knowledge of the decision said today.
Drew was Atlanta’s lead assistant for six years under Mike Woodson, who was let go last month. Drew and the team are working out the details of a contract this evening and the official announcement of his hiring is expected on Saturday.
Drew, 52, emerged from a group of finalists that also included Avery Johnson, Dwane Casey and Mark Jackson. Once Johnson agreed to coach the Nets early in the week, that left Atlanta’s ownership group and GM Rick Sund to choose from among the other three candidates.
This will be Drew’s first head-coaching job after he’s been an NBA assistant for the the last 14 seasons. He worked for the Lakers, Wizards, Pistons and Nets before joining Woodson’s staff for the 2004-05 season. Drew played 714 games over 10 NBA seasons from 1980-91.
Read more HERE.
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here