*(Via AJC.com) The Atlanta Hawks have decided to hire Larry Drew as their next head coach, people with knowledge of the decision said today.
Drew was Atlanta’s lead assistant for six years under Mike Woodson, who was let go last month. Drew and the team are working out the details of a contract this evening and the official announcement of his hiring is expected on Saturday.
Drew, 52, emerged from a group of finalists that also included Avery Johnson, Dwane Casey and Mark Jackson. Once Johnson agreed to coach the Nets early in the week, that left Atlanta’s ownership group and GM Rick Sund to choose from among the other three candidates.
This will be Drew’s first head-coaching job after he’s been an NBA assistant for the the last 14 seasons. He worked for the Lakers, Wizards, Pistons and Nets before joining Woodson’s staff for the 2004-05 season. Drew played 714 games over 10 NBA seasons from 1980-91.
Read more HERE.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Film Strip: Joe Wright on Diversity and Rooney Mara on Being Clothed in 'PAN'
- 'Blue Lives Matter' Billboard Campaign Aims to Honor Cops ... And Distract From 'That Other One'
- Snoop Dogg, Birdman, Jermaine Dupri, Damon Dash to Star in BET Reality Series
- Three 6 Mafia Rapper Koopsta Knicca Dies of Stroke at 40
- Freshman, 18, Dies in Shooting at Texas Southern University; Obama Protested in Ore.
- Baltimore Mayor Compares Cop/Community Relations to Bad Marriage
- Malcolm Jamal Warner: ‘Cosby Show’ Legacy ‘Tarnished’ by Bill Cosby (Watch)
- Raven Symone Says She Wouldn't Hire Someone With Ethnic Sounding Name; #BlackTwitter Pounces
- What Happened to US Government Employee Kanika Powell?
- Danny Glover Joins Gabrielle Union's ‘A Meyer’s Christmas’; Ernie Hudson Added to ‘Graves’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here