*Actor Don Cheadle has been appointed the new spokesman for the United Nations environment program.
UNEP Executive Director Achim Steiner delivered the news during a ceremony in Rwanda’s capital, saying Cheadle – whose 20o4 film “Hotel Rwanda” dramatized the 1994 Rwandan genocide that killed more than 500,000 people – would help raise green awareness among millions around the globe.
As a U.N. Environment Program Goodwill Ambassador, Cheadle vowed to fight climate change and promote environment conservation.
The film star also named a baby gorilla Zoya, a name chosen by internet users as part of a UNEP awareness program.
- K. Michelle Comes for SWV’s Coko; Tamar Gets Memed Over BET Performance
- Kirk Frost of 'L&HHA' Arrested at Dirt Bike Rally
- ‘BET Awards’ Ratings Down From Chris Rock-Hosted 2014 Ceremony
- Cheryl Burke Quits as Miss USA Co-Host Over Trump’s Comments
- Lester Holt Tops Ratings in 1st Week as Official ‘Nightly News’ Anchor
- First Look: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Julia Roberts in ‘Secret in Their Eyes’ (Trailer)
- Halle Berry on Leaving Modeling for Acting: ‘It Took Me Years to Build Respect’
- Victoria Rowell Wants Back on ‘The Young and the Restless’?
- Are We Bananas or is This Dude One Handsome Gorilla?
- Essence Expands Digital Programming with 'Live from the Essence Festival'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here