*To say the president is going through a rough patch would be an understatement. Now comes more bad news for Mr. Obama. In a new poll from the Wall Street Journal and NBC, his numbers are down, down, down. Keep in mind this poll was taken before his action to replace General McChrystal.
Take a look:
* In a first, more people disapprove of Obama’s job performance (48%) than approve of it (45%).
* Half disapprove of his handling of the oil spill, vs. 42% who approve.
* 62% say the country is on the wrong track, the highest level since his election.
* One bright spot: 64% say he’s likeable. (“On the personal level, the public still stays with him,” says a Democratic pollster.)
* BP gets a favorable rating of 6%. Only Saddam Hussein, Fidel Castro, and Yasser Arafat have scored lower in the poll’s history.
* Only one-third think the US economy will improve in a year, down 7 points from just last month.
* 57% want a new representative in Congress, the highest percentage in 18 years.