*The Labor Department will likely announce Wednesday that the Family and Medical Leave Act is being tweaked, giving gay federal employees the right to leave work to care for a child, just as straights can.
It’s the latest in a long string of incremental changes President Obama has quietly made since taking office that have expanded federal benefits to gays and lesbians.
This White House has given gay employees long-term health insurance for their partners, day care, and child subsidies. The Federal Housing Authority can’t consider a loan applicant’s sexuality anymore. And the Census Bureau will count the number of Americans who say they’re part of a same-sex couple.
In his Father’s Day address Sunday, the president even mentioned that modern families took many forms-including having two fathers.
Though some gay-rights activists are frustrated Obama has been slow to overturn Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, they generally agree the little changes show the White House still cares about them.
Read more at the Washington Post.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Pro-Lifers: ‘Get Out of My Vagina!’
- Jennifer Hudson Dishes on Film Roles, Style and Weight Loss
- Sparkletainment Presents 'Loves Freedom' a One-woman Stage Performance (WATCH)
- 'Why You Always Lying' Creator Calls Viral Success 'Crazy'
- Deitrick Haddon Unveils Cover of 'MasterPiece'
- How to Successfully Balance Family, Parenting and Entertainment
- Terrence Howard Repays Rapper Petey Pablo with Role on 'Empire'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here