*The Labor Department will likely announce Wednesday that the Family and Medical Leave Act is being tweaked, giving gay federal employees the right to leave work to care for a child, just as straights can.
It’s the latest in a long string of incremental changes President Obama has quietly made since taking office that have expanded federal benefits to gays and lesbians.
This White House has given gay employees long-term health insurance for their partners, day care, and child subsidies. The Federal Housing Authority can’t consider a loan applicant’s sexuality anymore. And the Census Bureau will count the number of Americans who say they’re part of a same-sex couple.
In his Father’s Day address Sunday, the president even mentioned that modern families took many forms-including having two fathers.
Though some gay-rights activists are frustrated Obama has been slow to overturn Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, they generally agree the little changes show the White House still cares about them.
Read more at the Washington Post.
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Daniele Watts & Boyfriend Sentenced
- Shocking! How BGF Members Made $20K a Month in Jail
- Piano Man: Tyler Perry Buys Nat King Cole's Steinway for $150k
- Trump Dismisses Ramos, 2 Reporters Murdered in Virginia, Serena Williams New Boo | BHL's This Week
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here