*The Labor Department will likely announce Wednesday that the Family and Medical Leave Act is being tweaked, giving gay federal employees the right to leave work to care for a child, just as straights can.
It’s the latest in a long string of incremental changes President Obama has quietly made since taking office that have expanded federal benefits to gays and lesbians.
This White House has given gay employees long-term health insurance for their partners, day care, and child subsidies. The Federal Housing Authority can’t consider a loan applicant’s sexuality anymore. And the Census Bureau will count the number of Americans who say they’re part of a same-sex couple.
In his Father’s Day address Sunday, the president even mentioned that modern families took many forms-including having two fathers.
Though some gay-rights activists are frustrated Obama has been slow to overturn Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, they generally agree the little changes show the White House still cares about them.
Read more at the Washington Post.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Lalah Hathaway & Kindred the Family Soul Headline ATL SLMF
- Timbaland Reschedules Detroit Charity Gig Following Champagne Tantrum
- 'Too Close' Singer Raphael Brown Wins Sole Custody Of Children
- Naked and Unarmed Black Teen Fatally Shot by Austin, TX Police
- ‘Memory Hackers’ (PBS): Not Just a ‘Men In Black’ Thing Anymore
- Video Stories About 'Good Cops' Show Up (Mysteriously) in My Inbox - Should I Be Concerned?
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: It’s Still a Woman Thing with Hillary
- Blake Griffin Suspended 4 Games For Punching Clippers Trainer
- Hymn to Him: The Power of Congregational Singing!
- Patti LaBelle Joins ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Christina Aguilera
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here