*The Labor Department will likely announce Wednesday that the Family and Medical Leave Act is being tweaked, giving gay federal employees the right to leave work to care for a child, just as straights can.
It’s the latest in a long string of incremental changes President Obama has quietly made since taking office that have expanded federal benefits to gays and lesbians.
This White House has given gay employees long-term health insurance for their partners, day care, and child subsidies. The Federal Housing Authority can’t consider a loan applicant’s sexuality anymore. And the Census Bureau will count the number of Americans who say they’re part of a same-sex couple.
In his Father’s Day address Sunday, the president even mentioned that modern families took many forms-including having two fathers.
Though some gay-rights activists are frustrated Obama has been slow to overturn Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, they generally agree the little changes show the White House still cares about them.
Read more at the Washington Post.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Fox Gives First Look at Fierce Films for 2016
- Derrick Rose Rape Accuser Pleads Not to Have Identity Revealed
- A Poisonous Spider Down Under Bites a Man...Down Under!
- A Broke Pilar Sanders Pleads with Court to Continue Her Case
- VIDEO: Deya Gets Direct With Denise Boutte on the Fantastic Voyage '16
- Drake Says New Album 'Views' Sold 630,000 Copies in One Night!
- Lakers Announce Luke Walton as New Head Coach
- John Wayne's Ultra-Racist Views of African Americans Ran Deep
- Parking Lot Crowded, Can't Locate Your Car? Meet 'Zus'
- Draya Michele's Post-Baby Body - Richard Sherman Pranks Himself
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here