*Christopher “Dudus” Coke, captured by Jamaican police Tuesday, was escorted by U.S. federal agents off a plane in suburban Westchester County, New York, at about 7 p.m. Thursday after his extradition from Jamaica.
Coke, who was wanted by the Southern District of New York on drug and weapons charges, was captured by Jamaican police on the outskirts of Kingston on Tuesday. He waived his right to judicial proceedings in Jamaica, according to a statement from the Justice Department, and was transferred to the custody of the U.S. Marshals service and the DEA.
U.S. Marshals, DEA agents and federal prosecutors had worked hand in hand with senior Jamaican military and police officials in an effort to effect Coke’s surrender and extradition. His attorney had contacted U.S. authorities on Monday advising that Coke was considering turning himself in to the U.S. It was the first communication that U.S. authorities had had with Coke’s attorney in several weeks.
“We are relieved that Coke’s arrest and transfer to New York was not marked by the violence that had gripped the streets of Jamaica for so many days,” said U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara. “We look forward to presenting our case to a jury in a Manhattan courtroom and bringing Coke to justice.”
More than 70 Jamaicans, including both civilians and security officers, died after Jamaican authorities began moving in on Coke’s barricaded West Kingston neighborhood in an attempt to capture him late last month. The U.S. has wanted to extradite Coke since 2009, but the Jamaican government had resisted until May.
The alleged Jamaican drug kingpin and accused leader of the notorious Jamaican Shower Posse was captured after a vehicle he was traveling in was intercepted by the police on a Jamaican highway. Though he was wearing a wig, glasses and women’s clothing as a disguise, officers recognized him at a checkpoint.
Click here to read the indictment.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- A Poisonous Spider Down Under Bites a Man...Down Under!
- A Broke Pilar Sanders Pleads with Court to Continue Her Case
- VIDEO: Deya Gets Direct With Denise Boutte on the Fantastic Voyage '16
- Drake Says New Album 'Views' Sold 630,000 Copies in One Night!
- Lakers Announce Luke Walton as New Head Coach
- John Wayne's Ultra-Racist Views of African Americans Ran Deep
- Parking Lot Crowded, Can't Locate Your Car? Meet 'Zus'
- Draya Michele's Post-Baby Body - Richard Sherman Pranks Himself
- You Can Purchase 'Boycott Beyoncé' Shirts at 'Formation' Tour
- R.Kelly Accused of Screwing Promoter Out of $500k
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here