*Christopher “Dudus” Coke, captured by Jamaican police Tuesday, was escorted by U.S. federal agents off a plane in suburban Westchester County, New York, at about 7 p.m. Thursday after his extradition from Jamaica.
Coke, who was wanted by the Southern District of New York on drug and weapons charges, was captured by Jamaican police on the outskirts of Kingston on Tuesday. He waived his right to judicial proceedings in Jamaica, according to a statement from the Justice Department, and was transferred to the custody of the U.S. Marshals service and the DEA.
U.S. Marshals, DEA agents and federal prosecutors had worked hand in hand with senior Jamaican military and police officials in an effort to effect Coke’s surrender and extradition. His attorney had contacted U.S. authorities on Monday advising that Coke was considering turning himself in to the U.S. It was the first communication that U.S. authorities had had with Coke’s attorney in several weeks.
“We are relieved that Coke’s arrest and transfer to New York was not marked by the violence that had gripped the streets of Jamaica for so many days,” said U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara. “We look forward to presenting our case to a jury in a Manhattan courtroom and bringing Coke to justice.”
More than 70 Jamaicans, including both civilians and security officers, died after Jamaican authorities began moving in on Coke’s barricaded West Kingston neighborhood in an attempt to capture him late last month. The U.S. has wanted to extradite Coke since 2009, but the Jamaican government had resisted until May.
The alleged Jamaican drug kingpin and accused leader of the notorious Jamaican Shower Posse was captured after a vehicle he was traveling in was intercepted by the police on a Jamaican highway. Though he was wearing a wig, glasses and women’s clothing as a disguise, officers recognized him at a checkpoint.
Click here to read the indictment.
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Danger Sign in Bail for Alleged Cincinnati Police Shooter Ray Tensing
- Terrence Howard’s Ex Sues 'Empire' Star for Assault and Defamation
- Cedric The Entertainer Celebrity Golf Classic Tees Off August 17
- Take a Special Look Inside the Making of 'Straight Outta Compton' (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here