*Nelsan Ellis, who plays the role of “Lafayette”” on True Blood” a popular HBO Series, shared his thoughts about being a Black actor in the industry with vibe.com. He talked about being stigmatized with homosexuality, answers the big question about gay marriage, and takes time to share his thoughts about Tyler Perry.
“But when the industry can’t tell the difference, I’m like, ‘Damn that’s a little closed minded,’ because when white people play a character people expect it to be a character. But black people-we can’t just be character actors, we have to [really] be the things we’re hired for, which is what offends me. I don’t answer that question, ‘Are you gay or not,’ when it comes down to industry people. But if it’s a regular person asking me, that just says that maybe I’m doing a good job. But when a casting director or an agent asks me that question it takes on a deeper thing that says, ‘I can’t believe you’re doing this unless you are that.’”
When asked about gay marriage, Ellis said he supports it.
“I support it. I think anybody should-I mean-I have my religious views but I don’t choose to oppress them on anybody. I think in this country, anybody can do whatever they want to do as long as it’s not hurting anybody else or violating the laws of society.”
When asked if he would work with controversial actor/producer/director Tyler Perry, he said, “hell yeah.” He shared that Perry is one who owns his own studio and willingly hires Black talent and feels that others should do the same.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, inquiring minds still want to know …
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EUR Exclusive First Look Clip: Robert Townsend's 'Playin' for Love'
- For the Brothas: Nadkins ... Wet Naps For Your ... You Know
- Zendaya on Her Fears, the 'New Cool' and Obsessive Photoshopping
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here