*Nelsan Ellis, who plays the role of “Lafayette”” on True Blood” a popular HBO Series, shared his thoughts about being a Black actor in the industry with vibe.com. He talked about being stigmatized with homosexuality, answers the big question about gay marriage, and takes time to share his thoughts about Tyler Perry.
“But when the industry can’t tell the difference, I’m like, ‘Damn that’s a little closed minded,’ because when white people play a character people expect it to be a character. But black people-we can’t just be character actors, we have to [really] be the things we’re hired for, which is what offends me. I don’t answer that question, ‘Are you gay or not,’ when it comes down to industry people. But if it’s a regular person asking me, that just says that maybe I’m doing a good job. But when a casting director or an agent asks me that question it takes on a deeper thing that says, ‘I can’t believe you’re doing this unless you are that.’”
When asked about gay marriage, Ellis said he supports it.
“I support it. I think anybody should-I mean-I have my religious views but I don’t choose to oppress them on anybody. I think in this country, anybody can do whatever they want to do as long as it’s not hurting anybody else or violating the laws of society.”
When asked if he would work with controversial actor/producer/director Tyler Perry, he said, “hell yeah.” He shared that Perry is one who owns his own studio and willingly hires Black talent and feels that others should do the same.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, inquiring minds still want to know …
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Welcomes Daughter
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- The NBA Demands Removal of Flag & No More Systematic Racism
- Deya Gets Direct with Single Men (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here