*Nelson Mandela made a rare public appearance Thursday for the funeral of his great-granddaughter Zenani, who was killed in a car crash last week.
Zenani Mandela, 13, died in a car crash while coming home from a World Cup concert in Soweto. Following the tragedy, Mandela cancelled plans to attend the tournament’s opening ceremony.
Video clips show the 91-year-old emerging stiffly from a golf buggy and then being supported by his wife Graca Machel as he made his way to the front pew of the chapel at Zenani’s Johannesburg school, where the service was held.
Mandela’s ex-wife, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela – Zenani’s great-grandmother – was also present, along with key figures from the world of politics, entertainment and sport and some of Zenani’s classmates, according to reports.
The Soweto Gospel Choir performed as guests arrived, while later the classic Bill Withers song “Lean on Me” was played as images of Zenani were shown on a screen.
The service was followed by a private burial.
Zenani, one of Mandela’s nine great-grandchildren, had celebrated her 13th birthday on June 9.
Last Thursday’s World Cup concert, which featured Alicia Keys, the Black Eyed Peas and Shakira among its international lineup, had drawn tens of thousands to Soweto’s Orlando Stadium, and traffic in the area had been busy into the early hours of Friday.
The driver of the car carrying Zenani, a family friend, was arrested and initially charged with drunk driving.
Below, Nelson Mandela attends the funeral of his 13-year-old great-granddaughter, Zenani, who was killed in a car crash after the World Cup’s opening concert.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'The Music of ‘Underground': Behind-the-Scenes with John Legend on Slave Thriller
- Lamar Odom On Way to Full Recovery; Almost Living on His Own
- Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Deserve the Black Vote. Here's why ...
- #BlackLivesMatter Activist Commits Suicide on Ohio Statehouse Steps
- Jubilee Project Video Discusses a ‘World Without Black People’
- How I Helped 50,000 Blacks Think it Out, Not Shoot it Out
- THE (02-10-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Lalah Hathaway & Kindred the Family Soul Headline ATL SLMF
- Timbaland Reschedules Detroit Charity Gig Following Champagne Tantrum
- 'Too Close' Singer Raphael Brown Wins Sole Custody Of Children
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here