*Shirley Sherrod’s mass media tour on Thursday included a stop on “The View,” and inevitably, the show’s resident conservative Elisabeth Hasselbeck challenged the ousted Agriculture Department employee over remarks she made about Republicans at the end of her speech to the NAACP.
Questioning Sherrod’s contention all along that the speech was about her own epiphany regarding race, Hasselbeck played a portion of the tape in which Sherrod said: “I haven’t seen such mean-spirited people as I’ve seen lately over this issue of health care. We’ve endured eight years of the Bushes and we didn’t do the stuff these Republicans are doing because you have a black president.”
After the clip, Hasselbeck asked Sherrod: “Where’s the epiphany where it’s not about color and it’s not about race?”
Sherrod took a moment, sighed, and said: “Why is it that there’s such opposition to something that’s so important to poor people? Again, I’m coming at it from the angle of poor people. Poor people need health care.”
As the audience applauded, Hasselbeck continued to question the racial element of those remarks, then, asked Sherrod if she was in violation of the Hatch Act, which prohibits civil servants from making partisan statements.
Listen to Sherrod’s answer and the rest of their exchange below, plus other footage from her visit to the Hot Topics table.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Socialist's Journal: Blake Lively
- Dr. Kenneth C. Ulmer and David Sigel Announce TUI
- 'It Got Better': Raven Symone Talks Sexuality & Coming Out (WATCH)
- THE (05-24-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Oscar Generale & Denny Mendez Shopping for Baby Clothes?
- Lynn Whitfield Dishes on Her Dramatic Face Off With Oprah! (WATCH)
- Yes, Wendy Williams Had Plenty to Say About the Tamar/'The Real' Situation (WATCH)
- Bombshell Report: Bill Cosby Admitted to Sex with Teens!
- Floyd Mayweather Hired Drake, Future For Daughter’s Sweet Sixteen
- Donald Trump Lists Oakland as 'Most Dangerous City in the World'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here