*Unfortunately for Wesley Snipes he’s going to have to serve three years in federal prison because he lost his appeal on a conviction of tax evasion.
The action actor was first found guilty in 2008 of dodging more than $15 million in taxes on income earned during the peak of his career.
Snipes’ lawyers tried to convince the court that his tax advisers, who also received jail terms, had convinced him there were no laws binding him to pay tax and that the sentence was “unreasonable.”
Even a letter from Denzel Washington to the District Court judge who upheld it, could not be persuaded.
“Wesley is like a mighty oak tree,” Washington wrote, “Many who know him have witnessed the fruit of his labours. I have sat in his shade and even been protected by his presence.”
A number of other showbusiness friends, including actors, a costume designer and even a daytime TV judge, also provided glowing character references. But their appeal fell on deaf ears, reports The Daily Mail.
Snipes, 47, was convicted of three counts of failing to file tax returns from 1999 to 2001, but was acquitted of felony fraud and conspiracy charges.
- A Blunted Out Snoop Doog Blasts Tom Brady NFL Victory: BULLSH*T! (Watch)
- Rihanna Goes Braless in New Dior Magazine Spread (Pics)
- Janet Jackson to Debut New Song on Beats 1; Reveals ‘Unbreakable’ Tracklist
- Idris Elba Responds to James Bond Author Saying He’s ‘Too Street’
- Check Out New 'Bridge' Clip from cartel-thriller SICARIO (Watch)
- NYU Removes Bill Cosby’s Name from Film Workshop Program
- Donald Trump to Kareem Abdul Jabbar: ‘You Don’t Have a Clue About Life’
- 'Slave Trade' Video Game Altered After Social Media Backlash
- Michel'le Back with New Single: 'It's Nothing' (LISTEN)
- ‘Welcome to Death Row’ Shopped as a Sequel to ‘Straight Outta Compton’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here