*Unfortunately for Wesley Snipes he’s going to have to serve three years in federal prison because he lost his appeal on a conviction of tax evasion.
The action actor was first found guilty in 2008 of dodging more than $15 million in taxes on income earned during the peak of his career.
Snipes’ lawyers tried to convince the court that his tax advisers, who also received jail terms, had convinced him there were no laws binding him to pay tax and that the sentence was “unreasonable.”
Even a letter from Denzel Washington to the District Court judge who upheld it, could not be persuaded.
“Wesley is like a mighty oak tree,” Washington wrote, “Many who know him have witnessed the fruit of his labours. I have sat in his shade and even been protected by his presence.”
A number of other showbusiness friends, including actors, a costume designer and even a daytime TV judge, also provided glowing character references. But their appeal fell on deaf ears, reports The Daily Mail.
Snipes, 47, was convicted of three counts of failing to file tax returns from 1999 to 2001, but was acquitted of felony fraud and conspiracy charges.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Old Email from Farrell, PA's New Police Chief Includes the Word 'N*gger' and Prompts Outrage ... and Support from the Town's Black Mayor
- 60% of Staff at Movie Theater in Connecticut Have a Disability
- Bowlegged Lou's Personal Insight Into TV One's UnSung Marathon
- THE (11-26-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- (Listen) ‘The Meaning of Life, Explained By 3rd Graders’ is Brilliant and On Point!
- Nivea Dishes about Her Feelings on Lil Wayne, Christina Milian (Watch)
- Akon and His Mother Owes $36K for Pimped Out Mansion
- Khloe Kardashian Not Spending Thanksgiving With Lamar Odom
- Gonna Fly Now: ‘Creed’ Sets Pre-Thanksgiving Record with $1.4M Box Office
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here