*Unfortunately for Wesley Snipes he’s going to have to serve three years in federal prison because he lost his appeal on a conviction of tax evasion.
The action actor was first found guilty in 2008 of dodging more than $15 million in taxes on income earned during the peak of his career.
Snipes’ lawyers tried to convince the court that his tax advisers, who also received jail terms, had convinced him there were no laws binding him to pay tax and that the sentence was “unreasonable.”
Even a letter from Denzel Washington to the District Court judge who upheld it, could not be persuaded.
“Wesley is like a mighty oak tree,” Washington wrote, “Many who know him have witnessed the fruit of his labours. I have sat in his shade and even been protected by his presence.”
A number of other showbusiness friends, including actors, a costume designer and even a daytime TV judge, also provided glowing character references. But their appeal fell on deaf ears, reports The Daily Mail.
Snipes, 47, was convicted of three counts of failing to file tax returns from 1999 to 2001, but was acquitted of felony fraud and conspiracy charges.
- What Style of Engagement Ring is Right for You?
- THE (07-06-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- 'Staten Island Summer' to Release on Netflix July 31 (Watch Trailer)
- Aaron Camper's Back and is 'Hypnotizing' in New Video (WATCH)
- MTV Presents 'White People' Documentary
- Kanye West Could've Been Highest Paid on Las Vegas Strip
- Reach Media Welcomes 'Gospel Traxx With Walt Baby Love' to its Urban Lineup
- Tyrese Gibson Responds to Forbes for ‘Green Lantern’ Shade
- Video: Tidal Releases Bizzy Crook's 'From Everything Came Nothing'
- Tasha Cobbs' 'One Place Live' Releases August 21 on Motown Gospel
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here