*The National Urban League kicked off its annual conference in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday, July 28. The National Urban League, founded on its dedication to foster black economic equality, celebrates its 100th year.
President Obama was greeted by an overwhelming welcome reception, as he took to the microphone to address delegates Thursday morning at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. He gave a 45 minute speech, spending the bulk of it talking about education reform. He discussed the need to improve American education, increase graduation rates, lift up failing schools, and to close the achievement gap that is leaving too many children of color behind.
The National Urban League brings in its 100th year focused on jobs and empowerment.
Scroll down for more photos of the event:
- Donovan McNabb Arrested on Suspicion of DUI - Again
- Serena Advances at Wimbledon with Win Against Victoria Azarenka
- Women Traveling Solo: Wear a Fake Wedding Ring (and Other Tips!)
- Paula Deen Tweets Photo of Son in Brownface
- ‘The Real’s’ Jeannie Mai, ESPN, PGA Latest to Dump Trump
- Judge Refuses to Dismiss Suge Knight's Murder Case
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Stripped of WBO Title Over Nonpayment of Fee
- Whoopi: Bill Cosby is ‘Still Innocent Until Proven Guilty’; Raven-Symone Needs More Proof
- Bill Cosby Accusers Feel Vindicated with Newly Released Confession
- ‘Married To Medicine’s’ Quad & Lisa Nicole Cloud Cat Fightin' (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here