*The mother of Oprah Winfrey’s longtime boyfriend Stedman Graham has died — just days before she was to turn 86.
Stedman, Oprah and her best friend Gayle King were taking a private yacht tour of the Greek islands with friends when Graham learned that his mother, Mary Graham, had died at her home in Whitesboro, N.J., on Aug. 10, according to reports.
A rep for Winfrey confirms that she attended Graham’s funeral, which was held in Whitesboro on Saturday.
Below is Mary Graham’s obituary from the website Press of Atlantic City:
GRAHAM, MARY – on August 10, 2010 at 4:40 am at her residence in Whitesboro, answered her call from God.
Daughter of the late Willie and Lois Jacobs, she was born in Clarkton, NC on August 21, 1924. Mary graduated from Farmers Union High School in Clarkton, NC. Married to Stedman Worth Graham in 1941, she moved from N.C. to Philadelphia, PA. Mary and Stedman later moved to Whitesboro, NJ and raised seven children.
They were early pioneers and settlers of Whitesboro. Mary worked at Crest Haven Rehabilitation Center for 10 years as a nurse. She spent the next 30 years working at the Woodbine Developmental Center as a Cottage Training Technician.
Mary was known by many as a faithful worker and leader. With an entrepreneurial gift for business, she leaves a legacy of selfless giving which includes family, friends and her community. Because of her southern upbringing and a love for cooking, there was always a hot meal and a warm smile for anyone who came by. She truly exemplified the art of giving back.
Mary was instrumental in establishing the ARC along with Dr. Ulrich Laquer. They were both honored in 1969 for their grassroots work within the organization. She was also one of the original members of the Concerned Citizens of Whitesboro.
Mary was a member of St. Stephens Church and later attended Christ Gospel Love Center. Mary was predeceased in death by her beloved husband, Stedman Worth Graham, son, Irvin Graham and daughter Nakoma Crawford. Mary leaves to cherish her memory: four children, Stedman Graham Jr., Anita Shelton, James Graham, and Darius Graham; six grandchildren, Lois Saunders, Wanda Graham (deceased), Julius Graham, MaryKathy Graham, Wendy Graham, Courtney Shelton and six great grandchildren; Four brothers, Willie Bunn Jacobs (deceased), Clyde Jacobs, Anthony Jacobs (deceased), Bruce Jacobs (deceased); Six sisters, Arniece Peacock (deceased), Louise Jacobs (deceased), Mattie Campbell (deceased), Delphia Skerett, and Mamie Jacobs; other survivors include nieces and nephews; and a host of other relatives and friends.
In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to: Caring for Kids – Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect – Box 695, Cape May Court House, NJ 08210. Please Email condolences to [email protected]
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Idris Elba, Freida Pinto Set for John Ridley’s Showtime Miniseries ‘Guerrilla’
- Serena Williams Advances to Second Round at Wimbledon
- Hot Rumor: The Entire ‘L&HH: Atlanta’ Cast Has Been Fired!
- WATCH Queen Latifah's Hilarious 'Ice Age' Freestyle (EUR Exclusive)
- Rihanna Posts Crotch Video of Her Performance in Glasgow (Watch)
- Chris Brown’s Long Suffering Publicist Quits After He Curses Her Out
- Man 'Pulls Penis Out' to Scan on Self-Service Tray (Yes, He's in Jail)
- Pres. Obama Tries to Name Everyone Who Died on ‘Game of Thrones' - For a Good Cause (Watch)
- Sheila E on Her Prince Tribute for BET and its Emotional Toll
- BET’s Debra Lee on Jesse Williams, D’Angelo’s Absence, Electrocution Concerns for Beyonce, More
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here