*President Barack Obama said Sunday he isn’t worried about a recent poll showing that nearly one-fifth of Americans believe he is a Muslim.
“The facts are the facts,” said Obama, who is a Christian in an interview broadcast on “NBC Nightly News.”
The president blamed the confusion over his religious beliefs on “a network of misinformation that in a new media era can get churned out there constantly.”
A poll released earlier this month by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center showed that 18 percent of people believe Obama is Muslim. That was up from 11 percent who said so in March 2009. Just 34 percent said Obama is Christian, down from 48 percent who said so last year.
“I’m not gonna be worrying too much about whatever rumors are floating on out there,” Obama said Sunday. “If I spend all my time chasing after that, then I wouldn’t get much done.”
Asked about persistent accusations that he wasn’t born in the United States, the president responded, “I can’t spend all my time with my birth certificate plastered on my forehead.”
Watch the interview:
- Black Comedienne to Compete on New Season of 'Last Comic Standing' (WATCH)
- Brittney Griner Rebounds with Beauty Named Lola
- Jill Scott On Bill Cosby, 'Being a Beloved Black Man Is Dangerous
- Ja Rule Ready to Show Different Side in MTV Family Docuseries 'Follow the Rules'
- REPORT: Congressman Chaka Fattah (Dem/PA) Indicted in Racketeering Case
- Ohio Cop Ray Tensing Indicted for Murder of Samuel DuBose (Video of Shooting)
- Nick Gordon Eyed for Prosecution; Spotted Wearing Bobbi Kristina’s Ring
- Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral to be Private
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Jaden Smith Drops Video for New Track ‘Scarface’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here