*Los Angeles — Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) will present the BMI President’s Award to will.i.am during the organization’s annual Urban Awards ceremony Friday, September 10.
Staged at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood, the invitation-only event salutes the creators and publishers of the most-performed urban songs of the previous year.
BMI President & CEO Del Bryant will share hosting duties with Catherine Brewton, Vice President, Writer/Publisher Relations, Atlanta. The ceremony will also recognize Urban Song, Songwriter and Publisher of the Year.
The BMI President’s Award is presented on unique occasions recognizing an individual who has distinctly and profoundly influenced the entertainment industry.
This honor celebrates will.i.am’s work has an artist, producer, and humanitarian. A tribute fueled by live performances will pay homage to his career. Will.i.am joins an elite list of previous President’s Award honorees including Juanes, Taylor Swift, Willie Nelson and Brian Wilson.
A songwriter, producer, and entertainer, will.i.am is also a leading activist, humanitarian, and entrepreneur. The seven-time Grammy winner has earned numerous BMI Pop, Urban, and London Awards, mirroring his cross-genre, cross-continental appeal. The founding member of the Black Eyed Peas has co-written hits including the group’s “Boom Boom Pow,” “Don’t Phunk with My Heart,” “Where Is the Love,” “I Gotta Feeling,” “My Humps,” and “Let’s Get Started”; Fergie’s solo smashes “Fergalicious,” “Glamorous,” and “Clumsy”; Estelle’s “American Boy”; Usher’s “OMG,” which he wrote and produced; and more. He earned a Latin Grammy for his production work with Sergio Mendes, while in addition to the Black Eyed Peas and Usher, he has also produced for John Legend, Carlos Santana, U2, Estelle, Flo Rida, Mary J. Blige, Rihanna, Justin Timberlake and more. Via his Peapod Foundation, will.i.am unifies the world through music and common interest, addressing issues affecting children, including housing, starvation, healthcare, education, poverty and music and artistic education.
Broadcast Music, Inc.® (BMI) is an American performing right organization that represents more than 400,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers in all genres of music and more than 6.5 million works. BMI licenses businesses that use music and distributes licensing fees as royalties to the musical creators and copyright owners it represents. BMI reported $905 million for its 2009 fiscal year in performing right collections. BMI has represented the most popular and beloved music from around the world for 70 years.
Hanna Pantle / BMI Los Angeles
Marlene Meraz / BMI Los Angeles
- THE (08-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Neo-Soul Duo Presents Annual ‘Kindred the Family Reunion’ in Philly
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here