*Wyclef Jean has written an article in the Wall Street Journal defending his decision to run for the presidency of Haiti.
“While I don’t pretend to be a miracle worker, I wholeheartedly believe that at this important time in Haiti’s history, I am the right person to put the country on the road to the brighter future it so desperately needs and deserves,” Jean wrote in the article published today.
Jean entered the presidential race last week, jetting into the Caribbean nation on a private plane and asking Haitians to give him “power for change.”
While his decision to run has won support in Haiti, where many hail him as a hero, he has also drawn criticism from figures skeptical of a hip-hop star in the national palace. But Jean wrote that Haiti needed a president “who can turn promises into reality — someone who will crisscross the earth and convince world leaders” to help the Haitian people economically.
“We also need to cultivate Haiti’s rich culture of entrepreneurship by increasing the availability of microcredit and simplifying laws and bureaucracy,” the musician stressed.
Jean lives in the New York area but has traveled to Haiti multiple times seeking to defuse gang violence and help the poorest Haitians. He has said his inspiration to enter politics emerged from the devastating January earthquake that left 250,000 people dead and 1.5 million homeless.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Movie Watch: Big Weekend for Creed, The Good Dinosaur, Victor Frankenstein
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Walt Disney’s 'The Good Dinosaur' is a Story of a Bond of Two Unlikely Friends
- Naughty by Nature Hitting the Road to Celebrate 25th Anniversary
- EURweb Covers the 'Creed' Movie Premiere (WATCH)
- Jasmyne Cannick: Before Cops Encourage the Public to Snitch Maybe They Should Lead By Example (VIDEO)
- Taye Diggs on ‘Rosewood’ Gig: ‘I Knew It Was Going to Be Fun’
- RECAP: Empire (S2, Ep9) Sinned Against
- Jason Kidd Suspended for Slapping Ball Out of Ref’s Hand (Watch)
- Mariah Carey, Ex-Husband Nick Cannon Spend Thanksgiving Together
- Siri Gives Taraji P. Henson Attitude in New Apple Music Ad
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here