*Wyclef Jean says that death threats “come with the territory” and it will not stop him from trying to become Haiti’s new president.
The 37-year-old has moved his team to his childhood town in Croix de Bouquets after getting a series of warnings, including a phone call telling him to “get out of Haiti.”
Accompanied by an armed guard and other supporters, he told the BBC: “In the past couple of days we have received a few death threats. Just for our safety we came to an area where we feel is secured – that is my town. We’re in an area where we’re comfortable, the area where we were at before, we weren’t comfortable.
“We know this situation we’ve embarked on, death threats come with the territory. But beyond that it’s not about all those negative information.”
As previously reported, Haiti’s electoral commission has postponed its ruling on who will be allowed to run for president until Aug. 20. Haitian laws say a candidate must have lived in the country for five consecutive years. Wyclef has not, having spent most of his life in the US.
However he said his work as an “ambassador” for current president, Rene Preval, qualifies him to run.
“The issue of residency, we have proof, five years,” he told the BBC. “Every piece of paper that the commission, the electoral council have asked for, we have delivered. So by law, we have everything.”
The singer also said he would publish the documents online to prove he is legally entitled to run for the top job.
Jean said that if he wasn’t allowed to run for president he would carry on his work in helping to develop the country.
“If after Friday we’re not approved I will continue doing what I’ve been doing in Haiti. We’ll be respected as a political force,” he said. “The important thing is I hope we can be part of the big plan.”