*If negotiations work out, Halle Berry will take on the role of a young Aretha Franklin in an upcoming biopic based on the Queen of Soul’s New York Times best-selling autobiography, “Aretha: From These Roots.”
Franklin today revealed the all-star lineup she has chosen to take on starring roles in the film, pending signed contracts. Denzel Washington will star as her father Rev. C.L. Franklin, the legendary minister, national evangelist, pastor and civil rights leader.
Franklin selected Oscar-nominated Terrence Howard for the role of her life-long friend and music icon Smokey Robinson; Blair Underwood for the role of her brother and long-time manager Cecil Franklin; and Nia Long for the role of her sister, Erma Franklin.
She also chose award-winning gospel singers LaShun Pace and Karen Clark Sheard to take on the roles of members of the world-renowned gospel group, the Ward Singers, with Karen Clark Sheard in the role of Kitty Parham. The Ward Singers greatly influenced Ms. Franklin’s life and career.
Franklin says “the actors are enthusiastic about the project and have agreed to take on these roles subject to further negotiation,” read a statement from her rep.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Prince Update: Family Gifted Big Bucks by George Lopez
- Latice Crawford Releases ‘Diary of a Church Girl’ May 20
- Wilmore's 'My Nigga' to Obama Gets Black Twitter Approval, But not Najee Ali
- Aisha Tyler: African-American Teens Must 'Be Brave' About College
- Poet Pens Stunning Piece About Appropriating Black Slang (WATCH)
- Oprah's Not Worried About Flack From Church Folk
- Prince Entered Treatment Program for Hip Pain & Medication Use
- Kehoe Brothers to Direct R-rated Action-comedy for Tyler Perry
- Beyonce's Lemonade Drama, Prince Updates, Boycotting Target and More! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH President Obama Crack on Trump, Bernie and More at WHCD
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here