*MGM Resorts International is now under investigation thanks to a tweet from the underage son of NBA legend Michael Jordan.
Marcus Jordan’s boast on Twitter about partying at a Las Vegas Strip nightclub has prompted Nevada gambling regulators to examine whether the casino operator violated laws prohibiting drinking or gambling by minors, Nevada Gaming Control Board enforcement chief Jerry Markling said Monday.
As previously reported, Jordan’s 19-year-old son Marcus Jordan tweeted Aug. 20 about spending $35,000 at Haze at Aria Resort & Casino.
“Last night was stupid… 35K at Haze,” the University of Central Florida sophomore guard said. “Totals 50K something the whole day.”
The tweet has since been removed from the site.
Marcus Jordan, who was in Vegas with his 21-year-old brother Jeffrey for their dad’s fantasy basketball camp, told a Fox Sports website last week that the tweet was a mistake and said he had conversations with both his parents about it.
“I didn’t mean it the way it came across,” he said. “My family and friends know the type of person I am.”
A video posted to Twitter by Jeffrey Jordan shows the siblings and teammate A.J. Rompza hanging out at the Liquid Pool Lounge, the resort’s adults-only pool.
The Aria is the centerpiece casino of City Center, the company’s joint venture with Dubai World that cost $8.5 billion to build.
Markling said he could not comment specifically about the case, but punishments in general depend on the infraction’s scope, and could involve verbal warnings, fines, or in extreme cases suspending an operator’s gambling license.
Also, Markling said the control board’s findings would not be made public.