*On Oct 4, in the name of Spelman College, the inaugural Blue Scholarship Black-Tie Gala will be held at New York’s posh Plaza Hotel to benefit the prestigious black women’s college and to salute the contributions of dynamic black women in music, business, law and education.
Spike Lee and Samuel L. Jackson who are Morehouse College alum, will help honor Marian Wright Edelman Service Award recipient Mary J. Blige on that evening. She is being recognized for her philanthropic efforts with her non-profit foundation, FAWN (Foundation for the Advancement of Women Now).
Jackson, who met his wife LaTanya Richardson Jackson while she was a student at Spelman College and he attended Morehouse College across the street, will serve as Master of Ceremonies. Lee, whose grandmother and mother both attended the Atlanta liberal arts college, will host the reception.
“We recognize the 2010 awardees for their tremendous contributions towards bettering our communities,” Jackson said. “Their achievements motivate us to pave the way for the next generation to achieve goals that will change the world.”
Several other prominent Black stars will also be attending the event to be honored and to help celebrate the wonderful women of Black America.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here