*On Oct 4, in the name of Spelman College, the inaugural Blue Scholarship Black-Tie Gala will be held at New York’s posh Plaza Hotel to benefit the prestigious black women’s college and to salute the contributions of dynamic black women in music, business, law and education.
Spike Lee and Samuel L. Jackson who are Morehouse College alum, will help honor Marian Wright Edelman Service Award recipient Mary J. Blige on that evening. She is being recognized for her philanthropic efforts with her non-profit foundation, FAWN (Foundation for the Advancement of Women Now).
Jackson, who met his wife LaTanya Richardson Jackson while she was a student at Spelman College and he attended Morehouse College across the street, will serve as Master of Ceremonies. Lee, whose grandmother and mother both attended the Atlanta liberal arts college, will host the reception.
“We recognize the 2010 awardees for their tremendous contributions towards bettering our communities,” Jackson said. “Their achievements motivate us to pave the way for the next generation to achieve goals that will change the world.”
Several other prominent Black stars will also be attending the event to be honored and to help celebrate the wonderful women of Black America.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- BHERC Presents 'Reel Black Men' Short Film Festival on October 24
- Lil Wayne Says Birdman Stiffed Drake, Nicki Minaj Out of Money
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Gabrielle Union to Star in ‘A Meyers Christmas’ for Universal
- Matt Barnes Still Swears He Had Something With Rihanna: ‘I’m Too Grown to Lie’
- Damien Sneed Performs During International Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Spain
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here