*On Oct 4, in the name of Spelman College, the inaugural Blue Scholarship Black-Tie Gala will be held at New York’s posh Plaza Hotel to benefit the prestigious black women’s college and to salute the contributions of dynamic black women in music, business, law and education.
Spike Lee and Samuel L. Jackson who are Morehouse College alum, will help honor Marian Wright Edelman Service Award recipient Mary J. Blige on that evening. She is being recognized for her philanthropic efforts with her non-profit foundation, FAWN (Foundation for the Advancement of Women Now).
Jackson, who met his wife LaTanya Richardson Jackson while she was a student at Spelman College and he attended Morehouse College across the street, will serve as Master of Ceremonies. Lee, whose grandmother and mother both attended the Atlanta liberal arts college, will host the reception.
“We recognize the 2010 awardees for their tremendous contributions towards bettering our communities,” Jackson said. “Their achievements motivate us to pave the way for the next generation to achieve goals that will change the world.”
Several other prominent Black stars will also be attending the event to be honored and to help celebrate the wonderful women of Black America.
- George Takei Apologizes for Calling Clarence Thomas 'Clown in Blackface'
- ‘Empire’s’ Kaitlin Doubleday Looking Forward to Chris Rock, Alicia Keys
- Paula Deen Says She Didn't Post the Brownface Pic; Her Twitter Handler Did
- Rick Ross Released from Jail after Posting $2 Million Bail
- FSU’s De’Andre Johnson Says Woman Called Him N-Word Before he Hit Her (Report)
- Bobbi Kristina’s Hospice Room Filled with Whitney’s Music, Photos, Scented Candles (Report)
- Donovan McNabb Arrested on Suspicion of DUI - Again
- Serena Advances at Wimbledon with Win Against Victoria Azarenka
- Women Traveling Solo: Wear a Fake Wedding Ring (and Other Tips!)
- Paula Deen Tweets Photo of Son in Brownface
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here