*On Oct 4, in the name of Spelman College, the inaugural Blue Scholarship Black-Tie Gala will be held at New York’s posh Plaza Hotel to benefit the prestigious black women’s college and to salute the contributions of dynamic black women in music, business, law and education.
Spike Lee and Samuel L. Jackson who are Morehouse College alum, will help honor Marian Wright Edelman Service Award recipient Mary J. Blige on that evening. She is being recognized for her philanthropic efforts with her non-profit foundation, FAWN (Foundation for the Advancement of Women Now).
Jackson, who met his wife LaTanya Richardson Jackson while she was a student at Spelman College and he attended Morehouse College across the street, will serve as Master of Ceremonies. Lee, whose grandmother and mother both attended the Atlanta liberal arts college, will host the reception.
“We recognize the 2010 awardees for their tremendous contributions towards bettering our communities,” Jackson said. “Their achievements motivate us to pave the way for the next generation to achieve goals that will change the world.”
Several other prominent Black stars will also be attending the event to be honored and to help celebrate the wonderful women of Black America.
- Gov. Nikki Haley to #BlackLivesMatter: You Don’t Have to ‘Yell and Scream’ (Watch)
- Dwight Howard Brings Loaded Glock to Houston Airport, Avoids Arrest
- RGIII Gets Standing Ovation at Redskins Event
- Watch ‘Melville’, the SXSW Short Michael Strahan is Developing for TV
- AcaciaTV Strives To Increase Diversity In Fitness Videos, Training
- Meet New 'Daily Show' Correspondent Roy Wood Jr. (Video)
- The Isley Brothers’ Essential Library - 23-CD Box Set Collection is Historic
- Director Admits Cutting Roger Goodell Scene in Will Smith’s ‘Concussion’ Film
- Director Ripped for Taylor Swift’s 'Very White Africa' in New Video (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton, Chaka Khan, Kim Zolciak Set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here