*Lisa Wu-Hartwell recently spoke with vibe.com about her time with “Real Housewives of Atlanta,” her book and domestic violence. She said the first season of the show was a hit because it was real, raw, and untainted. But as the show became more popular, producers began to create drama and turned the ladies into characters.
“Our ratings—we were killing everybody so it’s like we gotta stay on top so they had an idea of where they want their characters to go and they forget that we’re not characters in a show we’re real people living our lives,” she told vibe.com. “And sometimes people want to turn you into a character of your former self and I’m just not willing to perform or create something that isn’t there.”
Wu-Harwell said the show became too much of a competition and a chess game, so she decided to get out of it.
“They have an idea of who they want you to be and you can only take that for so long and that’s why I said it’s time to go because I’m not willing to compromise my integrity. It’s like all Black people don’t act this way and it’s unfortunate that we feed into those stereotypes sometimes. I understand you don’t want to watch paint dry. I get it. But it’s a fine line between performing and acting a’fool. I had very real moments, I got upset on the reunion show but at the end of the day there’s a time and a place for everything.”
She has a book coming out Nov. 1 entitled “When the Cake is Made.”
Visit Vibe.com to view the full interview.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Report: Janet Jackson Pregnant With First Child at Nearly 50
- Radio Stations Nationwide to Simulcast Prince’s ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ on Wed
- Woman Stabs Boyfriend For Not Getting Her a Valentine’s Gift (Video)
- Attorney for Prince's Addiction Specialist Explains Pills Found in His Medical Bag (Watch)
- Cynthia Bailey, Stacey Dash Cast in Syfy’s ‘Sharknado: The 4th Awakens’
- Lee Daniels Writes Apology Letter to Sean Penn, Ending Defamation Suit
- Kanye West Reportedly Fired Security Guard for Trying to Talk to His Wife
- Prince Being Added to Apollo Theater’s Walk of Fame
- Jay Z To Tell ‘His Side ’ of Beyonce Marriage in New Album (Report)
- Heartbreaking: Teen Bullied on Social Media Over Her Prom Photo
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here