*Following the presentation of his new short film, “Runaway,” in Paris the night before, Kanye West headed over to London’s British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) to premiere the 35-minute-long clip on Wednesday night (Oct. 6), reports Billboard.
He told the audience that the inspiration for the film was Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” as well as Prince’s “Purple Rain” and Pink Floyd’s “The Wall.” “I wanted to do a modern version of that,” he said, according to the BBC.
West also said about “90” percent” of the music featured in the film appears on his upcoming album, “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,” scheduled to be released on Nov. 22.
Dressed in a black jacket, brown belt and army boots, West introduced the short film before answering questions from the audience for almost two hours, stating the clip is “an overall representation of what I dream,” and inspired by artists like Picasso and Matisse.
The story follows West as he embarks on a relationship with a girl who happens to be a phoenix, after she crashes down on Earth “from another world.” One scene even features an over-sized paper mache model of Michael Jackson’s head.
He told those in attendance that the video was shot over four days in Prague during the summer, adding, “We were doing 20-hour days with no sleep.”
West, who directed and wrote the film along with art director Vanessa Beecroft and producer Jonathan Lia, said it would receive a worldwide premiere within the next two weeks and would also be packaged with his new album.
- K. Michelle Comes for SWV’s Coko; Tamar Gets Memed Over BET Performance
- Kirk Frost of 'L&HHA' Arrested at Dirt Bike Rally
- ‘BET Awards’ Ratings Down From Chris Rock-Hosted 2014 Ceremony
- Cheryl Burke Quits as Miss USA Co-Host Over Trump’s Comments
- Lester Holt Tops Ratings in 1st Week as Official ‘Nightly News’ Anchor
- First Look: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Julia Roberts in ‘Secret in Their Eyes’ (Trailer)
- Halle Berry on Leaving Modeling for Acting: ‘It Took Me Years to Build Respect’
- Victoria Rowell Wants Back on ‘The Young and the Restless’?
- Are We Bananas or is This Dude One Handsome Gorilla?
- Essence Expands Digital Programming with 'Live from the Essence Festival'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here