*Push author Sapphire (real name: Ramona Lofton) has just sold a sequel novel, The Kid, to Penguin Press, to be published next summer.
According to Publisher’s Marketplace, The Kid focuses on the son of the main character from Push “as he approaches manhood — alone, brutalized and with the soul of an artist.”
Her first novel, Push, was sold to Vintage at auction for $500,000 in 1995. It was adapted into the award-winning movie “Precious” and led to a supporting actress Academy Award for Mo’Nique and a writing Oscar for Geoffrey Fletcher. Newcomer Gabourey Sidibe earned a best actress nomination for her starring role as Precious.
In the end of the first novel, it was revealed Precious, the mother of two children, had AIDS.
Sapphire is also the author of three collections of poetry.
- Kem: 25 Years of Sobriety, Opens Up on Overcoming Drug Addiction
- Bree Newsome Reveals Reason Behind Removing the Confederate Flag
- LA Mayor Garcetti Finally Agrees to Meet with Black Lives Matter Activists (Dramatic Video)
- Compton Mayor Invites Submissions for 'Compton Champions' Awards
- THE (07-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Photos: Usher and Miguel Host 5th Post BET Awards Party [Look: Photo Gallery]
- Fantasia Reunites With Husband, Faces Tax Lien
- Doctors Warn of Health Risks from Wearing Skinny Jeans
- Eva Longoria to Donald Trump: ‘You Must Expect a Backlash’ (Watch)
- Warrant Issued for Florida State QB De’Andre Johnson
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here