*Push author Sapphire (real name: Ramona Lofton) has just sold a sequel novel, The Kid, to Penguin Press, to be published next summer.
According to Publisher’s Marketplace, The Kid focuses on the son of the main character from Push “as he approaches manhood — alone, brutalized and with the soul of an artist.”
Her first novel, Push, was sold to Vintage at auction for $500,000 in 1995. It was adapted into the award-winning movie “Precious” and led to a supporting actress Academy Award for Mo’Nique and a writing Oscar for Geoffrey Fletcher. Newcomer Gabourey Sidibe earned a best actress nomination for her starring role as Precious.
In the end of the first novel, it was revealed Precious, the mother of two children, had AIDS.
Sapphire is also the author of three collections of poetry.
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here