*Push author Sapphire (real name: Ramona Lofton) has just sold a sequel novel, The Kid, to Penguin Press, to be published next summer.
According to Publisher’s Marketplace, The Kid focuses on the son of the main character from Push “as he approaches manhood — alone, brutalized and with the soul of an artist.”
Her first novel, Push, was sold to Vintage at auction for $500,000 in 1995. It was adapted into the award-winning movie “Precious” and led to a supporting actress Academy Award for Mo’Nique and a writing Oscar for Geoffrey Fletcher. Newcomer Gabourey Sidibe earned a best actress nomination for her starring role as Precious.
In the end of the first novel, it was revealed Precious, the mother of two children, had AIDS.
Sapphire is also the author of three collections of poetry.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: It’s Still a Woman Thing with Hillary
- Blake Griffin Suspended 4 Games For Punching Clippers Trainer
- Hymn to Him: The Power of Congregational Singing!
- Patti LaBelle Joins ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Christina Aguilera
- Khloe Kardashian Joins OkCupid After Split From James Harden
- LeSean McCoy: Video of Club Brawl With Off Duty Cops (Watch)
- DMX Hospitalized After Discovered Unconscious at Hotel
- Red Lobster Sales and Social Media Soar Since Beyonce’s ‘Formation’
- EUR Celebrates Black History Month - From AFRICAN SKETCHBOOK to OUR ROOTS
- What?! All Traces of Rapist-Cop Daniel Holtzclaw Gone from Database
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here