*Push author Sapphire (real name: Ramona Lofton) has just sold a sequel novel, The Kid, to Penguin Press, to be published next summer.
According to Publisher’s Marketplace, The Kid focuses on the son of the main character from Push “as he approaches manhood — alone, brutalized and with the soul of an artist.”
Her first novel, Push, was sold to Vintage at auction for $500,000 in 1995. It was adapted into the award-winning movie “Precious” and led to a supporting actress Academy Award for Mo’Nique and a writing Oscar for Geoffrey Fletcher. Newcomer Gabourey Sidibe earned a best actress nomination for her starring role as Precious.
In the end of the first novel, it was revealed Precious, the mother of two children, had AIDS.
Sapphire is also the author of three collections of poetry.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Shanice Williams Says She and Dorothy Are the Same in 'The Wiz Live!'
- John Legend Records First-Ever Holiday Duet With the Stars [Listen]
- Porsha Williams, Cynthia Bailey 'RHOA' Fight, Time to Retire B-word?
- Vivica A. Fox Wants an 'Empire' Spinoff Based on Candace
- Report: Tom Joyner Being Forced Out of Own Radio Show; Russ Parr to Take Over
- 50 Cent Sitcom ‘My Friend 50’ Headed to Fox
- The Best of Black Twitter’s #PopeBars
- Mom of Ronald Johnson Wants Dashcam Video of Son's Killing Released (VIdeo)
- 'L&HHH's' Milan Christopher Denies Dating ‘Empire’s’ Jussie Smollett
- Anthony Anderson Inks Multi-Year Deal With NAACP Image Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here