*A San Francisco man is trying to get an initiative on an upcoming city ballot that would make circumcision a crime.
Lloyd Schofield, the author of the measure, calls circumcision “genital mutilation.”
His proposed measure would “make it a misdemeanor to circumcise, excise, cut or mutilate the foreskin, testicle or penis of another person who has not attained the age of 18,”
“Tattooing a child is banned as a felony and circumcision is more harmful than a tattoo,” said Schofield.
Under the proposed measure circumcising a boy would result in a fine of up to $1,000 and up to one year in jail.
Schofield must collect over 7,100 signatures for the measure to be included on the ballot.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, circumcision has been associated with a lower risk for HIV infection in international studies and clinical trials, and serious complications with circumcision are rare.
- Ohio Cop Ray Tensing Indicted for Murder of Samuel DuBose (Watch Killing)
- Nick Gordon Eyed for Prosecution; Spotted Wearing Bobbi Kristina’s Ring
- Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral to be Private
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Jaden Smith Drops Video for New Track ‘Scarface’ (Watch)
- Boy, 8, Youngest to Receive Successful Double Hand Transplant (Watch)
- Woman in China Pushes Child to Safety Before Falling to Her Death on Escalator (Video)
- Future Scores First No. 1 Album with ‘DS2’; Tyrese's 'Black Rose' No. 3
- Sherri Shepherd Returning to 'The View' as Contributor
- Drake Claps Back at Meek Mill in ‘Back to Back’ (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here