*After reviewing government data, the Associated Press reported last week that an astonishing 72 percent of African American babies are born to unwed mothers.
The Black out-of-wedlock figures far exceed those of any other segment of the population.
According to the report, the Black female 72 percent out-of-wedlock figure compares to 17 percent for Asian American women; 29 percent for white women; 53 percent for Hispanic women; and 66 percent for Native American women.
A wide range of studies suggest that children born and raised in single parent homes tend to do more poorly in school and have greater developmental problems than those raised in two-parent households.
Why do so many Black women have children out-of-wedlock. No one appears to know for sure. But some have accused the welfare and social service systems which tend to drive men out of home and eliminate the need for marriage as an economic institution. (source: Journal & Times)
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Neil Brown Jr. Joins Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’
- Mariah Carey Checks Lee Daniels AND Wendy Williams for Saying She’s ‘Too Fragile’ (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Reacts to ‘The Real’ Firing on Next ‘Braxton Family Values’ (Teaser)
- Activist PFK Boom Demands Pastor Jamal Bryant 'Get the F*ck Out' of Baltimore (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey Ready for ‘Greenleaf’ Backlash; Warns T.D. Jakes of Possible Comparisons
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Lawyers in Jerry Heller Case Want Judge to Watch Entire Film for Context
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here