*After reviewing government data, the Associated Press reported last week that an astonishing 72 percent of African American babies are born to unwed mothers.
The Black out-of-wedlock figures far exceed those of any other segment of the population.
According to the report, the Black female 72 percent out-of-wedlock figure compares to 17 percent for Asian American women; 29 percent for white women; 53 percent for Hispanic women; and 66 percent for Native American women.
A wide range of studies suggest that children born and raised in single parent homes tend to do more poorly in school and have greater developmental problems than those raised in two-parent households.
Why do so many Black women have children out-of-wedlock. No one appears to know for sure. But some have accused the welfare and social service systems which tend to drive men out of home and eliminate the need for marriage as an economic institution. (source: Journal & Times)
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Danger Sign in Bail for Alleged Cincinnati Police Shooter Ray Tensing
- Terrence Howard’s Ex Sues 'Empire' Star for Assault and Defamation
- Cedric The Entertainer Celebrity Golf Classic Tees Off August 17
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here