*As always, these are some rough times for NFL coaches. It seems like owners are not willing to take too much of a chance on losing streaks so they’re calling shots that aren’t too favorable for embattled coaches.
Week before last it was Wade Phillips in Dallas. Yesterday, the Minnesota Vikings fired Brad Childress after a terrible loss against Green Bay on Sunday (31-3). Ouch!
Childress (above) has never really been a well-liked coach among Vikings fans and players. He was headed toward disaster for some time until he convinced crowd favorite Bret Favre to stay a little longer. But their relationship was not all that beautiful. Especially with Favre’s sub-par performance this year.
Regardless, Childress is out and Farve is still in and the new (interim) coach, until the end of the season, is defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier (above).
In other NFL coaching and player news, Sunday wasn’t a pretty day for the Tennessee Titans, either. Quarterback Vince Young had rough day on the field and off with his coach, Jeff Fisher.
Young bolted the stadium after exchanging words with Fisher after their 19-16 overtime loss to Washington on Sunday in which Young tore a flexor tendon in his right thumb on his throwing hand.
Now comes word that Young needs season-ending surgery on his throwing hand. Not that being healthy would have kept the quarterback in the starting lineup.
The team is placing Young on injured reserve within the next few days, but after his latest meltdown — throwing his pads into the stands — Fisher said Young wouldn’t have started Sunday against Houston anyway.
Young saw a hand specialist Monday, and Fisher said team doctors recommended the surgery to repair Young’s torn flexor tendon in his right thumb. Young was injured late in the third quarter of Sunday’s 19-16 overtime loss to Washington.
Fisher said he didn’t know — and didn’t sound as though he cared — if Young will get an outside opinion.
“He may want to get a second opinion. He may want to get two dozen opinions. Our doctor said for his position, it needs to be fixed,” Fisher said.
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here