*Nelly used his Twitter account to lash out at his record label over weak sales of his new album “5.0.”
The rapper, whose latest studio set charted at number ten in the US with sales of 63,000, said his label Motown Records failed to promote the LP properly, after a string of fans tweeted him admitting they had no idea the record was out.
In a series of tweets, Nelly said: “A record deal is a 50/50 partnership! As an artist its your job to provide the record company with music that they can sell! [sic]
“Thing about the partnership is that in the public eye the responsibility is not 50/50! The artist is always the one who catches 90% of the blame. When a artist doesn’t deliver sufficient material they gets [their] budget cut for next album or worse dropped from the label!”
Nelly also revealed that his label sent out a limited amount of copies of the album, despite the success of his current single “Just A Dream.”
He continued: “So whose fault is it when a artist gives the label not only a #1 hit but there first top40 #1 in label history! Sell 2mill n singles n 2.5month?
“Who should be held responsible wen an artist has a history for selling records…but if folks say they didn’t even no wen the album came out?????
“Every1 luvs da album and say its crazy! So wen u hear folks say they didnt no it was out r there were hardly any in the store! WTF?”
“5.0” marks the star’s lowest charting album, after his last five efforts peaked within the top three.
- Black Confederate Flag Defender Believes Slavery was a ‘Choice’ (WATCH)
- Robertson Treatment Syndicated Column (RTSC): Black Lives Matter Interview with Lucy McBath
- Congresswoman Waters Applauds U.S.-Cuba Agreement to Open Embassies
- A Camping Checklist for the Prepared Parent
- Surprise! Prince Drops New Sexy Song: 'HardRockLover' (LISTEN)
- The Drought and Fireworks!
- Jordan Flaherty Explores Racial and Economic Justice Issues in New Documentary Series
- THE (07-02-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- See the Highly Anticipated WGN Thriller 'Underground' at the 2015 Essence Festival with Jurnee Smollett and Show's Other Stars
- OWN's 'The Haves and the Have Nots' Set Ratings Records
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here