*Mariah Carey says she’s confused by longstanding rumors that she is bisexual – insisting speculation she is attracted to women is “not the reality.”
Despite being married twice and expecting a baby with husband Nick Cannon, the singer has long faced allegations she is secretly gay.
“If it makes somebody happy to say that, then whatever, but that’s not the reality,” she tells gay magazine The Advocate. “I don’t have a discriminatory policy of who I’m friends with, so yes, I’m friends with women who are gay – gay, straight, it doesn’t matter to me. So I don’t get upset when I hear that, because it is what it is. I guess I could lie about it to seem more exciting.”
But the singer, whose ABC special “Mariah Carey: Merry Chirstmas to You” aired Monday night [watch clip below], insists she is fully supportive of gay rights and backs the campaign for same-sex marriage to be made legal.
Click here to read the entire Mariah Carey article in The Advocate. Below are more highlights from the Q&A:
How might you and Nick handle it if your child turned out to be gay?
I guess we’d handle it as best we could in terms of being supportive.
You strike me as one of those people who might secretly hope for a gay son.
[Laughs] I just hope for whoever’s going to be happy and that I can be a great mother to.
What if you have a little lesbian who won’t wear your tight hand-me-down dresses and butterfly jewelry?
No comment. [Laughs] No, the thing is that you can’t try to make somebody something they’re not. Everybody’s like, “Oh, if she has a girl, everything’s going to be pink, blah, blah, blah.” But I don’t think you should go totally overboard on that. You should wait and see what the child wants.
What do you think about today’s female artists like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Ke$ha, and Christina Aguilera, who flirt with bisexuality in their lyrics, videos, and in the press? Many view it as a disingenuous marketing strategy.
Maybe it’s more a reflection of society becoming more accepting. Some of those different artists might really be expressing themselves, but yes, some might just be looking for a little more attention. You never know.
- Nick Gordon's Defense in Bobbi Kristina Case: Drugs Responsible
- Man Breaks Down After Recognizing Judge As Former Classmate (WATCH)
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here