*A photograph of Michael Jackson posing as an Egyptian pharaoh sold for 26,000 euros ($34,880) Monday at an auction featuring four never-before-seen portraits of the “King of Pop,” reports Reuters.
The portrait of the late “Thriller” singer as a pharaoh, dressed in a gold cape and with dark shaded eyes (located at the far right of the above photo), was bought at the Paris auction by Ora-Ito designer Ito Morabito. With the added commission, the final price ran at 32,240 euros.
“I have been a fan since I was born,” Morabito said. “It is unique and really represents who he was. 50 percent man, 50 percent god.”
Since his sudden death in June 2009 due to an overdose of drugs, Jackson photos and memorabilia have sold for record prices. The singer’s trademark white glove sold at an auction of Jackson memorabilia for $350,000 last year in November, a few months after his death.
A posthumous album with new material, “Michael,” hits stores today.
A second portrait showing Jackson with sparkling blue glitter around his left eye (located at the top of the above photo) soared to 25,000 euros in less than a minute. A third picture showed the singer in a black shirt pulled up to below the eyes standing against a screen of multicolored beads. It sold for 22,000 euros.
The fourth portrait, featuring Jackson standing in front of a red curtain (top right of above photo), fetched 9,000 euros. Most of the other lots sold for around 1,500 euros.
The pictures were taken in 1999 by French photographer Arno Bani, then just 23. Jackson had reportedly wanted him to take the pictures for his 10th album “Invincible,” released in 2001, the singer’s last studio album.
The photographer signed over the rights to Sony for 10 years but the pictures were never used by the record label.
About 200 fans and dealers turned out at the Hotel Salomon de Rothschild, a private mansion in Paris. The sale was run by the house Pierre Berge & Associates.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- BHERC Presents 'Reel Black Men' Short Film Festival on October 24
- Lil Wayne Says Birdman Stiffed Drake, Nicki Minaj Out of Money
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Gabrielle Union to Star in ‘A Meyers Christmas’ for Universal
- Matt Barnes Still Swears He Had Something With Rihanna: ‘I’m Too Grown to Lie’
- Damien Sneed Performs During International Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Spain
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here