*Former “American Idol” finalist Mandisa Hundley, a two-time Grammy nominee who finished in the top 10 the year Taylor Hicks won, is now 90 pounds lighter and planning to release her third gospel album April 5, called “What If We Were Real.”
She tells the Associated Press that her emotional weight loss journey began two years ago, and the struggles fueled her new music.
“Where I was at the beginning of this album and where I ended up are two very different places,” she told The AP in an e-mail. “It’s been a process. I will always struggle with my weight. It’s the thorn in my flesh.”
Standing on a scale one morning and seeing a disappointing number prompted Mandisa to finally get real with herself and her fans.
“I had gained weight and was so frustrated at that moment that I said so on Twitter.”
She tweeted: “I’m fed-up and over it.”
“I was feeling embarrassed and ashamed. I realized that I had only talked about how great things were. I never let people in when they were not. It was then that I decided I’d talk about the bad things too,” she said.
The result is what Mandisa calls her most honest record to date.
She began recording “in a very dark place.” The title track and the song “Just Cry” came out of those early sessions. However, by the end of the process, she said she was back to a place of peace and joy, with the song “Lifeline,” about unwavering trust in God, the last track she recorded.
Mandisa is on her way to losing 100 pounds but said she doesn’t have a goal weight.
“My only goal is to be healthy physically, spiritually, and emotionally. That is a lifelong journey,” she said.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Zoe Saldana to 'Nina' Critics: 'Don’t Address Me with Such Disdain'
- Serena Williams Confesses She Was Sore After Twerking For Beyonce
- 'Natural' Black Bride Goes Viral - The Game Taunts Chris Brown
- Óscar Jaenada Says 'The Shallows' Set to 'Become A Classic’ [EUR Exclusive]
- Miramax Acquires Whitney Doc, Johnnie Cochran Film Finds Director
- Fewer Sex Partners Leads To Divorce, Nick Young & Iggy Azalea 'Split' | BHL's This Week (WATCH)
- Tamron Hall Reveals Her Fear Of Love
- Will Smith Admits That ‘Wild Wild West’ Was a Bad Career Move
- Las Vegas Prince Tribute Show A Hit Since Singer's Passing
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here