*Ice T was too happy to hear that Hungary’s media authority was investigating a radio station for playing two of his songs with explicit lyrics.
The tracks “Warning” and “It’s On” played in September of last year should have been broadcast only after 9 p.m., the National Media and Infocommications Authority said in a statement posted on its Web site Saturday.
Tilos Radio argued that since the lyrics are in English and the station has very few young listeners, the songs did not have an “adverse affect on the moral development” of children under 16, reports the Associated Press.
Ice-T, known for his controversial “Cop Killer” track and as a star of “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,” welcomed the dispute, posting “I love it! The world still fears me. hahaha!” on Twitter.
The announcement comes as Hungary is under scrutiny for a contentious new media law that sparked an international outcry over press freedom, though Hungarian authorities said their investigation is based on a 1996 law regulating radio and television.
The new law, which took effect Saturday, greatly expands the state’s power to monitor and penalize private news outlets on broadly defined grounds. Media watchdogs and several European countries, including heavyweight Germany, have criticized it.
Since winning a two-thirds parliamentary majority in April elections, Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s Fidesz party has modified the Constitution several times to fit its political aims and taken numerous measures — including limiting the powers of the country’s top court and naming party loyalists to key watchdog positions for extraordinarily long terms.
All three of Hungary’s opposition parties said they would ask the Constitutional Court to review the media law.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ringside Update/ Thurman vs Porter A Clash of Young Titans
- EUR EXCLUSIVE: 'The Legend of Tarzan' Press Junket
- THE (06-29-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- The Legends of Bad A** Women: 'Tarzan' Ain't the Only One with a Jane
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Features 'Sledgehammer' from Rihanna (WATCH)
- Jennifer Hudson Signs W/ Epic Records
- Stacey Dash Announces Her Own Political Party, 'Dash America'
- Trick Daddy is Spitting Mad ... About Some Woman in Viral Video
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- WNBA's Candace Parker Shares Handwritten Recruitment Letter from Pat Summitt
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here