*Working the Golden Globes red carpet, Halle Berry was bombarded with questions about her reported starring role in an Aretha Franiklin biopic. Apparently – it’s not a done deal.
There were reports last week that the Queen of Soul herself confirmed the casting after months of stating publicly that Berry was her first choice. But the Oscar winner’s responses on Sunday made it seem as though she had yet to sign a contract.
She told E! News’ Ryan Seacrest: “I can’t sing! If I could carry a tune, I’d consider it. Someone should tell Aretha that I can’t do her justice.”
Berry told “Access Hollywood’s” Shaun Robinson the same thing.
“Somebody needs to tell ReRe I can’t sing,” Berry said. “Now if she’s gonna do the singing for me, I’m up for the challenge. …You can’t play Aretha and not hold a tune. That’s me. So, if she wants to sing, I can do the acting and maybe it could happen. I would be honored beyond belief, honestly.
[Scroll down to watch clip.].
In a phone interview with Wendy Williams last week, Franklin — who has been recovering from an undisclosed illness over the last few months — confirmed that producers are moving forward with plans to bring her life story to the big screen.
“For the last four years, we’ve been talking about (the film), and I have had a number of offers. Unfortunately, they were not good offers. Now, we have something on the table,” said Franklin. “They have all of the financing on one project… (and are) in the process of writing things for me to approve.”
- Sophie Okonedo to Star in New BBC America Series ‘Undercover’
- Evan Ross, Ashlee Simpson Welcome Baby Girl
- Missy Elliott Reportedly Joins ‘The Voice’ Season 9 as a Mentor
- Dylann Roof Enters 33 ‘Not Guilty’ Pleas in Federal Court
- Unauthorized Beyoncé Bio to Reveal Inside Deets on 'SolangeGate'
- 'Peanuts' Celebrates its First African American Character, Franklin
- Kevin Hart Talks Homophobia & Race with Rolling Stone
- White House Petitioned to Extradite Dentist that Killed 'Cecil the Lion'
- Ciara Takes 'Presidential' Route on Janet Tribute, Mom and Men
- Sad: William ‘Refrigerator’ Perry Auctioning Off Super Bowl Ring
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here