*Working the Golden Globes red carpet, Halle Berry was bombarded with questions about her reported starring role in an Aretha Franiklin biopic. Apparently – it’s not a done deal.
There were reports last week that the Queen of Soul herself confirmed the casting after months of stating publicly that Berry was her first choice. But the Oscar winner’s responses on Sunday made it seem as though she had yet to sign a contract.
She told E! News’ Ryan Seacrest: “I can’t sing! If I could carry a tune, I’d consider it. Someone should tell Aretha that I can’t do her justice.”
Berry told “Access Hollywood’s” Shaun Robinson the same thing.
“Somebody needs to tell ReRe I can’t sing,” Berry said. “Now if she’s gonna do the singing for me, I’m up for the challenge. …You can’t play Aretha and not hold a tune. That’s me. So, if she wants to sing, I can do the acting and maybe it could happen. I would be honored beyond belief, honestly.
[Scroll down to watch clip.].
In a phone interview with Wendy Williams last week, Franklin — who has been recovering from an undisclosed illness over the last few months — confirmed that producers are moving forward with plans to bring her life story to the big screen.
“For the last four years, we’ve been talking about (the film), and I have had a number of offers. Unfortunately, they were not good offers. Now, we have something on the table,” said Franklin. “They have all of the financing on one project… (and are) in the process of writing things for me to approve.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ciara Get's Back at Future: She'll Grill Him Under Oath in Court
- Did Katherine Jackson Pressure Janet to Have Baby at 50?
- Not Impressed: Man Reads Book at Beyonce Concert (WATCH)
- White Woman (Samantha Niemann) Sues Diversity Program for 'Discrimination'
- Larry Wilmore Doesn't Expect to be 'Invited Back' to WHCD
- April Jobs Report: Only 160,000 Positions Added
- Sinead O'Connor Being Sued By Arsenio Hall for Defamation
- Senator Oscar Braynon Presents 4th Choice Challenge
- THE (05-06-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ralph Fiennes and Tilda Swinton Are Tortured Souls in 'A Bigger Splash'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here