*Andy Whitfield isn’t the only “Spartacus: Blood and Sand” star to be replaced for the second season. Lesley-Ann Brandt, who plays the slave Naevia, has decided to leave the Starz series, and her role will be recast, reports Deadline.
In the current prequel “Spartacus: Gods of the Arena,” Brandt plays body slave Naevia to Lucretia (Lucy Lawless), who eventually becomes the lover of Crixus the gladiator in the original series’ first season.
Brandt decided not to renew her contract to appear in the second season. She just began a recurring role on “CSI: NY” and recently appeared on an episode of “Chuck.”
TV Guide reports…
It’s not clear whether or not Starz will be looking for an actress with similar features and coloring as Brandt for a replacement. A rep for the network confirmed that casting is wide open to find “the best people for each role” and not based on a specific look.
The series doesn’t always stick to historical accuracy in its casting of the supporting roles. The role of Oenomaus (Peter Mensah) is reimagined as an African slave, but the original gladiator who had teamed up with Spartacus was from Gaul, a region of Europe during the Roman era.
- As previously reported, Andy Whitfield had to drop out of Spartacus to battle non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and Liam McIntyre stepped into his sandals for the second season, which will begin production soon.
- “Spartacus: Gods of the Arena” airs Fridays at 10/9c on Starz. The six-part prequel will conclude on Friday, Feb. 25.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Police Erased Video of CLaquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Phaedra Blogs Support for Cynthia and Peter During Marital Drama
- Tyra Banks Not Feuding with Chrissy Teigen, Chooses Beauty Brand Over 'FABLife'
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here