*On “The View” this morning, Whoopi Goldberg went off on the New York Times for not including her among mentions of African American Oscar winners in a recent article – a move that comes three years after Academy Awards producers left her out of a montage of past Oscar hosts.
The Times article discussed the lack of racial diversity among this year’s Academy Award nominees. She naturally expected to see her own name, since she was nominated twice and won once for her supporting role in 1990’s “Ghost.”
But Goldberg, 55, wasn’t mentioned at all in the story.
“I am embarrassed to tell you it hurt me terribly,” Goldberg said on “The View” Monday. “When you win an Academy Award, that’s part of what you’ve done, your legacy. I will always be Academy Award-winner Whoopi Goldberg, and [I] have been dismissed and erased by the New York Times film critics, who should know better.”
Click here to read the New York Times article “Hollywood Whiteout” by critics Manohla Dargis and A.O. Scott.
Goldberg went on to list her accomplishments before blasting the critics for “sloppy” work. The article did, however, reference a slew of modern day African American winners, including Halle Berry, Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman, all of whom won the award after 2002.
“Not only am I an Academy Award winner,” she said, pausing to take out her statuette as the audience erupted in cheers and applause. “I have made over 50 films. I have been nominated twice – once for ‘The Color Purple,’ once for ‘Ghost.’ And I won for’ Ghost.’”
“This is not hidden information, and to these two critics, who are the head critics of the New York Times … it’s hard not to take it personally,” she continued. “There’s a lot of stuff that people say and do but this is sloppy journalism.”
“People in Somalia know [about my Oscar win],” she continued. “People in China know.”
- The Socialist's Journal: The Value of Lives (Cecil the Lion)
- Min. Paul Scott/Straight Outta Con Man: Exposin’ the Truth About NWA
- 'Straight Outta Compton' Cast Talks' Straight Outta Compton' (Watch)
- Karen Clark Sheard Drops Highly Anticipated New Release 'Destined to Win'
- THE (08-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Raynette Turner's Death Leads to Probe by State Appointed Special Prosecutor
- Snoop Dogg Has Over $200K Seized at Italian Airport
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’: The Most Important Film of the Year
- Bobbi Kristina and Whitney: Reunited in Death; Buried Side by Side
- Will Smith Makes it Clear: 'Jada and I are NOT GETTING A DIVORCE!'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here