*On “The View” this morning, Whoopi Goldberg went off on the New York Times for not including her among mentions of African American Oscar winners in a recent article – a move that comes three years after Academy Awards producers left her out of a montage of past Oscar hosts.
The Times article discussed the lack of racial diversity among this year’s Academy Award nominees. She naturally expected to see her own name, since she was nominated twice and won once for her supporting role in 1990’s “Ghost.”
But Goldberg, 55, wasn’t mentioned at all in the story.
“I am embarrassed to tell you it hurt me terribly,” Goldberg said on “The View” Monday. “When you win an Academy Award, that’s part of what you’ve done, your legacy. I will always be Academy Award-winner Whoopi Goldberg, and [I] have been dismissed and erased by the New York Times film critics, who should know better.”
Click here to read the New York Times article “Hollywood Whiteout” by critics Manohla Dargis and A.O. Scott.
Goldberg went on to list her accomplishments before blasting the critics for “sloppy” work. The article did, however, reference a slew of modern day African American winners, including Halle Berry, Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman, all of whom won the award after 2002.
“Not only am I an Academy Award winner,” she said, pausing to take out her statuette as the audience erupted in cheers and applause. “I have made over 50 films. I have been nominated twice – once for ‘The Color Purple,’ once for ‘Ghost.’ And I won for’ Ghost.’”
“This is not hidden information, and to these two critics, who are the head critics of the New York Times … it’s hard not to take it personally,” she continued. “There’s a lot of stuff that people say and do but this is sloppy journalism.”
“People in Somalia know [about my Oscar win],” she continued. “People in China know.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Christopher 'Play' Martin to Speak at Suny-Oneonta Monday Nov. 30
- A 'Broke' 50 Cent Flaunts Stacks of Cash in Fridge (WATCH)
- Here’s why the Alleged Planned Parenthood Killer Isn’t called a Domestic Terrorist
- Pilar Sanders Will Have to Pay Deion Sanders $2.2M and Go Back to Jail
- Police Erased Video of Laquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Phaedra Blogs Support for Cynthia and Peter During Marital Drama
- Tyra Banks Not Feuding with Chrissy Teigen, Chooses Beauty Brand Over 'FABLife'
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here