*“Sparkle” the remake has been green lighted by Sony productions and is set to begin filming soon.
It’s not “Dreamgirls” and it certainly isn’t anything like it, let’s just put that out there right now, at least that’s what producer Debra Martin-Chase told Sister 2 Sister and now you know.
Although the story is also inspired by the story of The Supremes, the plot is a bit thicker and a bit darker than most are used to.
To be written and directed by film couple Mara and Salim Akil (known for “Girlfriends” and “The Game”), the film takes place in the late 50s in Harlem. It takes a journey with the Williams sisters who encounter some obstacles along the way on their path to success.
“The plots are very different. I mean, Sparkle’s much darker,” Debra said. “It has some real things about ‘what price are you willing to pay for success.
The original “Sparkle” was released by Warner Bros. in 1976 and starred Philip Michael Thomas, Irene Cara and Lonette McKee.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EUR on the Scene: 2nd Annual Alma Del Barrio Salsa Festival
- People of Note: Paying Tribute to Michael
- The Legend Continues Mathew Knowles, Beyonce' & Blue Ivy
- Gabby Douglas Hits The Gym For More Than 30 Hours Each Week
- Three White Athletes Charged with Alleged Rape of Black, Disabled Teammate
- Ahmad Rashad Gets Married For Fifth Time
- Mary J. Blige Joins Jason Mitchell in Dee Rees Film ‘Mudbound’
- 2 Cops in Freddie Gray Case File Defamation Suit Against Marilyn Mosby
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here