*“Sparkle” the remake has been green lighted by Sony productions and is set to begin filming soon.
It’s not “Dreamgirls” and it certainly isn’t anything like it, let’s just put that out there right now, at least that’s what producer Debra Martin-Chase told Sister 2 Sister and now you know.
Although the story is also inspired by the story of The Supremes, the plot is a bit thicker and a bit darker than most are used to.
To be written and directed by film couple Mara and Salim Akil (known for “Girlfriends” and “The Game”), the film takes place in the late 50s in Harlem. It takes a journey with the Williams sisters who encounter some obstacles along the way on their path to success.
“The plots are very different. I mean, Sparkle’s much darker,” Debra said. “It has some real things about ‘what price are you willing to pay for success.
The original “Sparkle” was released by Warner Bros. in 1976 and starred Philip Michael Thomas, Irene Cara and Lonette McKee.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ava DuVernay Being Courted to Direct Two Feature Films
- Taraji P. Henson Blames Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mixup on Her Friends (Watch)
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- ‘Black-ish’ To Address Police Brutality in Feb. 24 Episode
- J.Lo's 'Shades of Blue' Scores Second Season
- Lamar Sally: ‘Sherri Shepherd Has Made My Life A Living Hell’
- Super Bowl 50: As Seen From Beyonce’s Instagram
- 'Wendy's Style Squad' Coming to BET
- Bills RB LeSean McCoy Scraps With 3 Off-Duty Cops Over Bubbly
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here