*“Sparkle” the remake has been green lighted by Sony productions and is set to begin filming soon.
It’s not “Dreamgirls” and it certainly isn’t anything like it, let’s just put that out there right now, at least that’s what producer Debra Martin-Chase told Sister 2 Sister and now you know.
Although the story is also inspired by the story of The Supremes, the plot is a bit thicker and a bit darker than most are used to.
To be written and directed by film couple Mara and Salim Akil (known for “Girlfriends” and “The Game”), the film takes place in the late 50s in Harlem. It takes a journey with the Williams sisters who encounter some obstacles along the way on their path to success.
“The plots are very different. I mean, Sparkle’s much darker,” Debra said. “It has some real things about ‘what price are you willing to pay for success.
The original “Sparkle” was released by Warner Bros. in 1976 and starred Philip Michael Thomas, Irene Cara and Lonette McKee.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Naughty by Nature Hitting the Road to Celebrate 25th Anniversary
- EURweb Covers the 'Creed' Movie Premiere (WATCH)
- Jasmyne Cannick: Before Cops Encourage the Public to Snitch Maybe They Should Lead By Example (VIDEO)
- Taye Diggs on ‘Rosewood’ Gig: ‘I Knew It Was Going to Be Fun’
- RECAP: Empire (S2, Ep9) Sinned Against
- Jason Kidd Suspended for Slapping Ball Out of Ref’s Hand (Watch)
- Mariah Carey, Ex-Husband Nick Cannon Spend Thanksgiving Together
- Siri Gives Taraji P. Henson Attitude in New Apple Music Ad
- Provocative New Ebook Details Trump and the GOP’s Race Baiting History and the White House Race
- Put the 'Black' Back in 'Black Friday'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here