*In the wake of Idris Elba’s best actor win at the NAACP Awards on Friday night, BBC America has today confirmed it will co-produce the mini-series sequel of his critically-acclaimed drama, “Luther.”
Perry Simon, General Manager, Channels, BBC Worldwide America says: “It’s great to be involved once again with such a critically-acclaimed series and to have Idris back on BBC America in this iconic role. He fully deserves the prestigious awards and accolades he’s received for playing this dark and deeply disturbed character. With an even more intense storyline awaiting him, Idris will take Luther to a whole new level.”
Elba stars as John Luther, the near-genius detective struggling to cope with his own demons, in two distinctive, thrilling crime stories. Devastated by the brutal murder of his wife, John Luther returns to policing in a different world.
His old unit has gone and he’s working in the newly created Serious and Serial Unit, headed by former police complaints officer Martin Schenk (Dermot Crowley, Babel, Bleak House). Luther quickly gathers together his team, rescuing his old partner Detective Justin Ripley (Warren Brown, Occupation, Shameless) from uniform.
It’s not long before they’re dealing with their first case. A masked man wanders the streets of London, carrying out ritualistic murders in historic locations, working his way up to one final masterpiece.
Crackling with energy and beautifully shot this series sees Luther take bigger risks and face even darker challenges.
The original six-part mini-series was lauded by fans and critics alike when it was first broadcast on BBC America in October.
Elba, already a Golden Globe nominee for his role as Luther, was honored last Friday at the 42nd NAACP Awards for Outstanding Actor in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Ne-Yo’s Ex-Fiance Moyetta Shaw Posts Pics With New Millionaire Man
- Too Bad Girlfriends Don't Know Everything
- Suge Knight Loses Phone and Visitor Privileges in Jail
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here