*Moviehole.net is reporting that Wesley Snipes, currently in jail on tax fraud charges, will be replaced in an upcoming sequel in the “Major League” franchise by Tony Todd. (No, not the Candyman).
The blog site spoke to “Major League” writer/director David S.Ward last year about the sequel, at which point Charlie Sheen was onboard. Ward said at the time he was hoping to get most of the original cast back together.
In the original 1989 film, Snipes played Willie Mays Hayes, the light-footed fast-man of the Cleveland Indians baseball team. He was replaced in the 1994 sequel by Omar Epps, largely because the studio wouldn’t give Snipes a pay rise to come back.
Recalled Ward, “[Snipes] wanted to [come back], but he had become a bigger star then, and the studio didn’t want to pay him knowing his going price had increased. I guess the studio decided that his role was secondary to Berenger and Sheen’s. Omar Epps did a really good job, but it was tough replacing Wesley – audiences knew it wasn’t the same guy.”
This time Ward doesn’t have a choice, as Snipes is serving a three year sentence.
According to Radar Online, Charlie Sheen has recruited his friend Tony Todd for the role in “Major League 3.”
“My good buddy Tony Todd will be the new Willie Mays Hayes in Major League 3,” the ex-”Two-and-a-Half-Men” star said, according to Moviehole.
Todd, who had a small role in Peter Weir’s “The Truman Show”, is “almost as good a ball player as I am” says Sheen. “And he’s perfect for the role because he’s going to have more personality than anybody that’s ever lived… except me.”
The new film, which Sheen met with Morgan Creek this week to discuss, will also see Tom Berenger, Corbin Bernsen and Dennis Haysbert reprising their roles.
The new film, as Ward told Moviehole in June, is set “20 years later, and Wild Thing (Sheen) comes out of retirement to work with this 19-year-old player. We’ve actually got three new characters in the new film. And if the new film is popular, [those new characters] could carry the franchise on.”
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Happy 116th Birthday to World’s Oldest, Susannah Mushatt Jones (Video)
- Aretha Franklin Thanks Illinois for Helping Her after Bus Broke Down
- South Carolina Senate Votes to Remove Confederate Flag from Statehouse
- Russell Wilson, Ciara Practicing Abstinence: ‘I Need You to Pray for Us’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here