*TMZ claims a rep for the Jackson family is upset over an off-the-cuff remark made Wednesday on “American Idol” referencing the Pepsi commercial shoot in which Michael Jackson’s hair caught on fire.
During the show, contestant James Durbin told Ryan Seacrest after his performance featuring a flaming piano, “I have a lot of hairspray in my hair to keep it from jumping around — so much so, the one thing I was worried about was having a ‘Pepsi moment.'”
The 1984 Pepsi moment resulted in severe scalp burns for Michael Jackson – an injury that triggered an addiction to prescription drugs that may have ultimately taken his life.
A Jackson family rep tells TMZ, “We were shocked to see this. It’s nothing to make light of and everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael’s death.
The rep says Papa Joe was particularly upset that producers didn’t take the remark out of the West Coast feed.