*Jill Scott is ready to release her brand new album later this year entitled “The Light of the Sun.” And she’s embracing her first love, Hip Hop.
“I really want to get back to my original state,” she told CNN. “I love hip hop, and I was born to it. I needed to come back to it. It’s been awhile, and I’m in a new environment.”
Over the years, we’ve watched Jill grow from singing hooks with the Roots to starring on the big screen alongside Janet Jackson in Tyler Perry productions as well as her toplining the HBO series “The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.” She’s sold over 4 million records so far and it’s not going to stop there.
We hear the music video for her first single “Shame” is a bit of a dedication to her hometown as it was filmed in Philadelphia. With her talent and industry pull, she helped save the city’s Cecil B. Moore recreation center.
“When I found out it was closing, it just hurt my feelings because kids like me needed a place to go,” she said. “We just started to really take care of this facility because we don’t want it to shut down… You still have to come back. Where you come [from], you take care of that place. Everybody is supposed to be a part of their own community.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Target Wins Lawsuit Filed by Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute
- 'The Music of ‘Underground': Behind-the-Scenes with John Legend on Slave Thriller
- Lamar Odom On Way to Full Recovery; Almost Living on His Own
- Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Deserve the Black Vote. Here's why ...
- #BlackLivesMatter Activist Commits Suicide on Ohio Statehouse Steps
- Jubilee Project Video Discusses a ‘World Without Black People’
- How I Helped 50,000 Blacks Think it Out, Not Shoot it Out
- THE (02-10-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Lalah Hathaway & Kindred the Family Soul Headline ATL SLMF
- Timbaland Reschedules Detroit Charity Gig Following Champagne Tantrum
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here