*Advertisers looking to place spots on Oprah Winfrey’s May 25 sign-off will have to come up with at least $1 million, the current asking price for a 30-second spot.
Depending on placement within the show, some buyers will likely shell out even more, according to the Hollywood Reporter, who calls it a “jaw-dropping sum, particularly for daytime fare.”
But it’s not the first time Madison Avenue has been asked to break the bank for ad time in TV’s hotly-anticipated finales.
According to a list culled by Horizon Media’s Brad Adgate, using Nielsen Co. and Kantar Media data, ad buyers were forced to shell out double that for a spot on “Friends’” farewell, which drew an even more staggering 52.5 million viewers in 2004.
Six years earlier, a spot in Seinfeld’s final episode set advertisers back $1.42 million. But for that price, they got the opportunity to reach 76.3 million, an unheard of sum outside of events like the Super Bowl in today’s fractured landscape.
“Everybody Loves Raymond” spots were similarly pricey, with a 30-second ad buy in the May 2005 finale fetching $1.22 million. In return, an audience of 32.9 million tuned in to see Ray Romano and his cast bid farewell.
Five other pricey :30 finale spots:
Lost (2010): $900,000
X-Files (2002): $679,700
24 (2010): $650,000
Cheers (1993): $650,000
Ally McBeal (2002): $582,600
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Memo to Publisher McGraw-Hill: 'Slaves' Were Not 'Workers' (Watch)
- Tupac Planned to Kill ‘Thug Life’ Via 'Thug Life is Dead' Letter
- Steven Ivory: Lunch, with a Side of Humility
- Janet Jackson Reschedules Vegas Shows Supposedly to Rest Voice
- Jeremiah Wright is Still Hatin' on President Obama
- The Socialist's Journal: Quarterly Quick Hits Part 3
- Olatunde Osunsanmi Tackles Science Behind Fiction With Hollywood TV & Film Successes
- *The Napa Valley Wine Train Ladies Visit 'The Real' (WATCH)
- Black Owned Beauty Supply Outlet Replaces Destroyed Korean Owned Store in Ferguson
- THE (10-06-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here