*Advertisers looking to place spots on Oprah Winfrey’s May 25 sign-off will have to come up with at least $1 million, the current asking price for a 30-second spot.
Depending on placement within the show, some buyers will likely shell out even more, according to the Hollywood Reporter, who calls it a “jaw-dropping sum, particularly for daytime fare.”
But it’s not the first time Madison Avenue has been asked to break the bank for ad time in TV’s hotly-anticipated finales.
According to a list culled by Horizon Media’s Brad Adgate, using Nielsen Co. and Kantar Media data, ad buyers were forced to shell out double that for a spot on “Friends’” farewell, which drew an even more staggering 52.5 million viewers in 2004.
Six years earlier, a spot in Seinfeld’s final episode set advertisers back $1.42 million. But for that price, they got the opportunity to reach 76.3 million, an unheard of sum outside of events like the Super Bowl in today’s fractured landscape.
“Everybody Loves Raymond” spots were similarly pricey, with a 30-second ad buy in the May 2005 finale fetching $1.22 million. In return, an audience of 32.9 million tuned in to see Ray Romano and his cast bid farewell.
Five other pricey :30 finale spots:
Lost (2010): $900,000
X-Files (2002): $679,700
24 (2010): $650,000
Cheers (1993): $650,000
Ally McBeal (2002): $582,600
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Khloe Kardashian Not Spending Thanksgiving With Lamar Odom
- Gonna Fly Now: ‘Creed’ Sets Pre-Thanksgiving Record with $1.4M Box Office
- Black Student Criticizes WWU For Ignoring Racist Threats Against Her
- EUR on Set with 'Rosewood's' Morris Chestnut & Taye Diggs WATCH)
- Greg Hardy Cancels Thanksgiving Nightclub Gig Over ‘Public Image’?
- South African Girl in Chris Rock’s Family Here On ‘Visitor Visa’
- Woman Nearly Burned House Down Trying Something She Saw on Facebook
- Rapper Lil Boosie Says He Has Kidney Cancer
- Kim Zolciak Emotional in ‘DWTS’ Return Following Stroke
- Gap Band Family Feud! Ronnie Wilson Sues Charlie Wilson
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here