*Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson has reportedly been cast in the long-in-the-works biopic of country music star Charley Pride.
Terrence Howard had originally been cast in the lead role, but he dropped out as the production stalled. But the project is back on track with Johnson in the lead role.
Pride confirmed the news in an interview with Canada’s Telegraph-Journal, saying, “(It) got fumbled… New management took over the studio that was ready to begin site work on it… And a decision was made to put all their resources behind thrillers – fast actioners. They felt that was where the big box office money was then.
“Now it’s back on track again but with action and comedy star Dwayne Johnson portraying me in the title role… Terrence, it seems, is tied up on other involvements for a few years.”
Pride has also given Johnson his full blessing, after initially having doubts about his ability to tackle the role.
“Terrence is no doubt a more in-depth actor academically, but Dwayne is such a force on screen,” he said. “It startled me a little at first, but he flew down to Dallas and spent a day with me just sitting, talking recently. And when he left it was like parting with an old friend. We had such similar views on so many things.”
Pride has sold more than 70 million records throughout his long-running career and remains the only African-American singer to be inducted into the Grand Ole Opry.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Beyonce Shows Up at the Met Gala Without U-Know-Who (WATCH)
- Tupac Shakur's Mother Afeni Shakur-Davis Dies at 69
- No Biggie. White House Shrugs off Recent N-word Controversy
- The Socialist's Journal: 'Meternity Leave'
- Meet the Black Businessman Giving Ex-Cons, Veterans, and Homeless Support for Success
- THE (05-03-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ringside Update/Ortiz vs Berto II The Second Chapter
- Johnny Gill Says New Album to Accompany New Edition Biopic
- Bobby Shmurda to Sue NYPD Over False Arrest & Gun Charges
- Thanks to Stephen Curry, NBA To See Record Playoff Viewers
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here