*As expected, former drug trafficker “Freeway” Ricky Ross has filed a new lawsuit against the rapper Rick Ross, after his previous trademark infringement case was thrown out.
Freeway Rick Ross, who spent over 10 years in prison, lost his trademark infringement case after a judge ruled that he could not properly trademark his name due to the wide use of it in magazines, television, and media.
In an interview with BET.com, Freeway Rick says he’s hired a new law firm, Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP, and he’s gearing up to present his case in California state court on May 2.
“We always knew our case was stronger in the state than it was in the feds. California state law really protects people with their names and their likenesses,” he tells BET. “So we knew that was stronger inside California than it was in the feds, but we wanted to go the big route first then work our way down.”
In the previous suit, filed in June 2010, the real Ross was seeking compensation from the rapper Ross, Jay-Z, Def Jam Records, Universal Music Group and others, for trademark violations, unfair competition and misappropriation of his publicity rights.
The judge dismissed the case on the grounds that the real Ross did not show enough evidence of secondary usage by the rapper.
Now with Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, on his side, Freeway still plans to name the same defendants, but threatened to include Warner Music Group if they use his name as part of their recent partnership with the rapper Rick Ross’ Maybach Music Group.
“I’ll slap a lawsuit on them as well,” Ross promises. “They better not put my name on his product or I’ma be after them, too. I ain’t scared of none of them.”
The real Ross is confident that in this second round of legal proceedings he’ll regain ownership of his name in order for it to be used in a better light.
“We’re both teaching two different messages,” says Freeway Ross. “He’s teaching my old life: sell drugs, disrespect women, all the things that really have our country in shambles. I’m teaching uplifting values, education, literacy. He’s teaching illiteracy.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Flavor Flav Offered to Give O.J. Simpson Back His Bronze Statue
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Javier Colon performs May 4, 2016 at Rams Head on Stage
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here