*Oprah Winfrey had to take to her YouTube page yesterday to tell folks she cannot be Captain Save-a-Soap.
Once ABC announced that its long-running soap operas “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” would be cancelled, fans of the shows began bombarding the talk show queen with requests for her to air them on OWN.
Winfrey made a video explaining why she just can’t.
“I understand what it feels like to have a show you love off the air, I appreciate that you all think I could save the soaps,” says Oprah. “But here is the bone marrow truth. The soaps have been an institution in broadcast history and television because they had the support of the audience.”
Winfrey then lays out the unfortunate ratings statistics.
“Believe me, if there was a dime left to be made from them on broadcast television it would still be happening,” she continued. “I will not be taking on the responsibility of trying to revive an institution that for all intent and all purpose indicates that that time has come for it to be over. So thank you for believing I could save them. But I really can’t.”
Click here to watch Oprah’s video.
“All My Children” has been on the air since 1970, and “One Life to Live” debuted in 1968. Both were given the ax last week.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (12-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Trump Stands By Claim that ‘Most’ Black Pastors Endorse Him
- Watch Bryshere 'Yazz' Gray Freestyle on 'The Talk'
- Travel Much? Don't Do These 12 'Offensive' American Things (Watch)
- Ringside Update/ Cotto vs Canelo: A Clash Of The Latin Titans
- Call for Contestants! 'Heel & Toe' Reality Show
- Compton Mayor Aja Brown and Rapper YG Host Community Thanksgiving Dinner [VIDEO]
- DMX Makes Sitcom Debut as Love Expert on ‘Fresh Off The Boat’ (WATCH)
- The Orlando Magic Give Thanks This Holiday
- Ava DuVernay Responds to Lionsgate Apology for 'Egypt' White-washing
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here