*As Idris Elba prepares for the release of “Thor” (see trailer below) in which he plays the role of all-seeing Heimdall, he’s also readying himself for a battle against fans who disagree with the part.
“Pure-fan” comic-bookers say its quite disrespectful to have a black man play the role of a character rooted in Norse mythology.
Elba, 38, says it’s just outright racism talking.
“Purist comic-book fans are one thing,” said the 38-year-old actor in an interview with L.A. Times, “Out-and-out racism is another… Of course, the more I speak on this topic, the more I fuel it. But, look, if people have a problem with me playing the character, just don’t go see the movie, you know?”
Well, they may do just that. There is a website petitioning fans to boycott the film for inserting “left-wing social engineering into European mythology.”
Check out the site here.
“Thor” opens this weekend.
Meanwhile, Elba’s career keeps moving forward. He just finished filming Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance which is slated for release in 2012.
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here