*As Idris Elba prepares for the release of “Thor” (see trailer below) in which he plays the role of all-seeing Heimdall, he’s also readying himself for a battle against fans who disagree with the part.
“Pure-fan” comic-bookers say its quite disrespectful to have a black man play the role of a character rooted in Norse mythology.
Elba, 38, says it’s just outright racism talking.
“Purist comic-book fans are one thing,” said the 38-year-old actor in an interview with L.A. Times, “Out-and-out racism is another… Of course, the more I speak on this topic, the more I fuel it. But, look, if people have a problem with me playing the character, just don’t go see the movie, you know?”
Well, they may do just that. There is a website petitioning fans to boycott the film for inserting “left-wing social engineering into European mythology.”
Check out the site here.
“Thor” opens this weekend.
Meanwhile, Elba’s career keeps moving forward. He just finished filming Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance which is slated for release in 2012.
- Who T-Pain, Vic Mensa & A$AP Rocky Wanna Collab With (WATCH)
- Lorraine Toussaint Talks Playing Morris Chestnut’s Mama on ‘Rosewood’
- O.J. Simpson Fuming: Women Have Stopped Sending Him Commissary Money
- Gospel Sensation Naomi B Releases New Single, ‘Break Free’ (LISTEN)
- White Police Chief Gets Home Detention for Killing Unarmed Black Man
- Casting Complete for Brandy’s New BET Series ‘Zoe Ever After’
- Rosie O’Donnell Checks Elisabeth Hasselbeck for Calling #BlackLivesMatter a Hate Group
- Perspective on Harris Co. Deputy's Death by Project 21 Member Who Served with Him
- RHOA Fight: Cynthia Bailey Kicked Porsha Williams in the Stomach (Report)
- James Bond Author Now ‘Sorry’ for Calling Idris Elba ‘Too Street’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here