*As Idris Elba prepares for the release of “Thor” (see trailer below) in which he plays the role of all-seeing Heimdall, he’s also readying himself for a battle against fans who disagree with the part.
“Pure-fan” comic-bookers say its quite disrespectful to have a black man play the role of a character rooted in Norse mythology.
Elba, 38, says it’s just outright racism talking.
“Purist comic-book fans are one thing,” said the 38-year-old actor in an interview with L.A. Times, “Out-and-out racism is another… Of course, the more I speak on this topic, the more I fuel it. But, look, if people have a problem with me playing the character, just don’t go see the movie, you know?”
Well, they may do just that. There is a website petitioning fans to boycott the film for inserting “left-wing social engineering into European mythology.”
Check out the site here.
“Thor” opens this weekend.
Meanwhile, Elba’s career keeps moving forward. He just finished filming Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance which is slated for release in 2012.
- Will Smith Makes it Clear: 'Jada and I are NOT GETTING A DIVORCE!'
- Melba Moore Defends Bill Cosby: 'Nobody's Perfect' (WATCH)
- Bobby Brown's Wife Alicia Etheredge Suffers Seizure After Funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Hump Nails: Yay or Hell to the Nah! (Provide Your Own Fun Captions for Jellybean Win!)
- Ice & Coco Talk New Baby, New Talk Show and Breeding Out Racism
- Drama Developing: Bobbi Kristina Casket Pic Sold for Over $100K
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- The Weeknd Close to Reaching Plea Deal in Cop Hitting Case
- 'Silly' is How Ben Carson Sees the ‘Black Lives Matter’ Movement
- Chicago Man Wrongly Imprisoned for 17 Years, Shot Dead at Home (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here