*As Idris Elba prepares for the release of “Thor” (see trailer below) in which he plays the role of all-seeing Heimdall, he’s also readying himself for a battle against fans who disagree with the part.
“Pure-fan” comic-bookers say its quite disrespectful to have a black man play the role of a character rooted in Norse mythology.
Elba, 38, says it’s just outright racism talking.
“Purist comic-book fans are one thing,” said the 38-year-old actor in an interview with L.A. Times, “Out-and-out racism is another… Of course, the more I speak on this topic, the more I fuel it. But, look, if people have a problem with me playing the character, just don’t go see the movie, you know?”
Well, they may do just that. There is a website petitioning fans to boycott the film for inserting “left-wing social engineering into European mythology.”
Check out the site here.
“Thor” opens this weekend.
Meanwhile, Elba’s career keeps moving forward. He just finished filming Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance which is slated for release in 2012.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- How to Start Your Own Online Casino
- Was Prince Better than Hendrix? Only if He Crosses the Entertainment Divide
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- The Pulse of Entertainment: MBK’s Glory2Glory Presents Livre’, ‘Jericho: Tribe of Joshua’
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here