*A change to the Presbyterian Church’s constitution opens the door for ordaining gay ministers, deacons and elders but leaves the decision of who’s chosen as church leaders at the local level.
The church’s constitution used to have a requirement to “live either in fidelity within the covenant of marriage between a man and a woman or chastity in singleness” for church officers. The amendment change removes that stipulation and requires church leaders to “submit joyfully to the Lordship of Jesus Christ in all aspects of life.”
The changes also state that the governing body responsible for ordaining ministers or installing lay leaders should examine each candidate’s calling, gifts, preparation and suitability for the responsibilities of office.
“Governing bodies shall be guided by Scripture and the confessions in applying standards to individual candidates,” it states.
The move returns the church constitution to its pre-1997 stance, which didn’t specify any sin, said Pastor Charles Davenport of West Avenue Presbyterian Church in Gastonia and a presbytery associate for the Western North Carolina Presbytery, which represents 112 churches in this area including Gaston, Lincoln and Cleveland counties. Western Carolina was one of the presbyteries to vote for the change. The injunction against gay and lesbian ordination started in 1997. This vote reverts the constitution back to its pre-1997 stance, which had been the Presbyterian stance since 1729 of allowing decisions to be made locally.
Read more here.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Grad Party Cancels T.I. Gig after Shooting; Wants $55,000 Payment Back
- Google Announces $250,000 in Grants for Flint, MI Water Crisis
- THE (05-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Johnny Gill Celebrates 50th and EUR was on the Scene (Video/Photos)
- Khloe Kardashian Files for Divorce from Lamar Odom ... Again!
- Music Producer Jazze Pha Drowning In Debt, Files for Bankruptcy
- ADIFF Holds Black Film Series May 27-29 Featuring Films by Sidney Poitier & Charles Burnett
- Tyler Perry Upgrades Like a Boss; Takes a Hit with Buckhead Mansion Sale (Report)
- Rapper Troy Ave Arrested in T.I. Concert Shooting; New Video Allegedly Shows Him Opening Fire (Watch)
- Racist Chinese Detergent Ad Washes the Black Off of Black Man (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here