*Scotty McCreery may have won “American Idol,” but a number of season 10 finalists have scored recording contracts – and producer Rodney Jerkins will have his stamp on at least three of the projects.
Fourth finalist out, Pia Toscano, has already recorded “a few songs,” according to Jerkins. He says her debut is poised to be “a big, diva-sounding record.”
“It’s what I think I do best – that big Whitney, Mariah, Celine vibe,” he told the Hollywood Reporter. “We’ve having fun with that.”
He’s making plans for additional sessions while Toscano and the rest of season 10 Top 11 are out on tour this summer. “These kids have crazy schedules so what’s going to happen is while they’re on the road traveling, they’ll have to stop in certain cities and record, which might mean us traveling and meeting them to record.”
On orders from Interscope Geffen A&M chairman Jimmy Iovine, Jerkins has also been tasked with composing songs for McCreery and runner-up Lauren Alaina.
“This was training for us producers,” Jerkins tells THR. “I wrote five country songs last week. It’s transformed not just the contestants but even the producer. Tricky [Stewart] produced that ‘Mama’ song for Lauren, and he said, ‘With this show, we’re not just urban pop guys anymore.’ George Strait can call me tomorrow and I’m ready to go!”
As far as when these albums might see a release date? That’s not entirely clear, it might be end of summer, or perhaps the fall, as per the Sony Music timeline of “Idol” albums past.
“Jimmy said, ‘Start working now,’” Jerkins reveals. “One song that Scotty recorded is really close to being a go right now, but basically, I’ve been told to just keep writing.”
- Hump Nails: Yay or Hell to the Nah! (Provide Your Own Fun Captions for Jellybean Win!)
- Ice & Coco Talk New Baby, New Talk Show and Breeding Out Racism
- Drama Developing: Bobbi Kristina Casket Pic Sold for Over $100K
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- The Weeknd Close to Reaching Plea Deal in Cop Hitting Case
- 'Silly' is How Ben Carson Sees the ‘Black Lives Matter’ Movement
- Chicago Man Wrongly Imprisoned for 17 Years, Shot Dead at Home (WATCH)
- Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Funeral Filled with Family, Music and Spirituality
- Teddy Pendergrass, Angie Stone Team For Posthumous ‘Love TKO’ Duet (LISTEN)
- Is the Media Still on that 'Make Black People Look Bad' Thing?
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here